Selling Dell Laptop for MBP, what's it worth?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iTim314, May 28, 2007.

1. iTim314 macrumors 6502

We're looking to purchase a new MacBook Pro. We have a 2 year old dell laptop that we want to sell to help pay for the MacBook Pro. We're wondering what's it worth....

Dell Inspiron 9100
    Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHtz
    512 MB of Ram
    Wireless Internet and Bluetooth
    60GB HDD @ unknown

I can't find any specs on the video card, but I can tell you it's powerful enough to run Doom 3 Maxed out and not drop below 30fps.

Origional purchase was roughly $2,200.

Any ideas on it's current value? Physical condition is great.

2. adamyoshida macrumors regular

3. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Definatly not as much as im sure you are hoping for, If you get lucky maybe $750, though $500 is more realistic.

Sorry

4. adamyoshida macrumors regular

One of the bigger problems it that, from your description, it sounds like you've got a 17" one with a full-size P4 chip. Such set-ups were, overall, notoriously unreliable.

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Umm maybe $500 if you're lucky.

I have a Inspiron E1505 which I am getting ready to replace with a Macbook Pro, and I was going to sell it on ebay but they're only going for like $750-$900, so it's not worth it.

My specs are 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 2GB Ram, 120GB HD, ATi X1400 Mobility 256MB.

I'm just going to give it to my sister and my parents are going to pay for part of the Macbook Pro.

6. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I had a big fat dell laptop before I got my MB. It was weird, cause it had the desktop P4 in it and got an hour's battery life because of it. That thing had the random shutdown sydrome too. I was trying to sell it, but to no avail. I ended up giving it to my dad so he would buy my MB then, I still payed for the MB though (and I don't think apple charged us :rolleyes: ). He ended up giving it to his girlfriend. I got NO $ from it. The most you'll get it $500 I'd say.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, I too would have to say that the presence of a P4 in the notebook is a big "no thank you" to a lot of would-be buyers, unfortunately. Those Windows notebooks that came out before the Pentium M and so on had really scaled up and started surpassing the P4s are kind of orphans....

But for what it's worth, you might try logging into eBay and looking at completed listings. It's one of the best sources of information about what to expect.

8. TimJim macrumors 6502a

i would say that $600 would be the best for it

more likely to sell around $450-$500

9. kellah macrumors regular

i doubt you'll even get $500. i had an Asus laptop with 2.0 GHz P-M, 1 gb RAM, 80 gb harddrive and sold it for $500 a few weeks ago.

10. iTim314 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yikes.

Definately not what I wanted to hear. Thanks for you're help guys. :(

11. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Sorry but that's the PC market. Sadly my 4 year old 867mhz 12" powerbook would sell for more than your Dell.

But I'm glad you're deciding to switch! A step in the right direction. :D

12. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You might be able to get a couple of hundred more than $500 for it, it's worth more than that even in today's market to someone who knows about laptops and needs such a machine.