Selling DVD collection - is there an ISO reading player?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by foxxuk, Feb 16, 2010.

1. foxxuk macrumors newbie

For a long time now I've wanted to get rid of my DVD collection as it takes up so much room. I was considering just ripping them and then buying an Apple TV box to store them on, but there's two problems with this;

firstly, I'd lose all the DVD extras, subtitles and commentaries; and secondly, ripping the main title using an app like handbrake would take absolutely ages, and isn't really reliable.

I was wondering if there's an application that allows you to rip whole discs as a disc image or ISO, and then play them back. I know you can very easily rip a DVD image and then mount it as a virtual drive on Windows systems, but is there anything similar on Mac?

Also, is there a more elegant way of implementing this, such as a front row plugin which would show a list of all the ISOs in the movies folder, and upon selection mount them as a virtual drive and play them in the DVD player?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Legalities aside, it is very easy to use fairmount, mount the DVD as a "drive" and copy the Video_TS folder over. This keeps the entire DVD in tact. There are some issues with DRM and the like but overall this is your best bet. You then watch via VLC, which I don't think can be put on an ATV (even hacked).

Also, searching these forums will help you.

3. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

I absolutely believe in fair-use duplication/backup. But shenanigans like this give the RIAA/MPAA/etc fuel for their argument that we should not be allowed/able to copy at all.

If you sell the disks and keep images for your viewing pleasure, then you are allowing the viewing/use in two places at the same time that aren't even the same household and that is a legitimate concern with the above-mentioned groups.

4. foxxuk thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I personally believe I paid for the DVD in the shop, so whether I leave the DVD gathering dust on my shelf, or rip it to my computer, I've still paid to watch that content.

I could just throw the disc in the bin afterwards, but it'd be better to give them to charity surely.

All future movies I buy will be digital anyway / iTunes downloads, I'm only ripping old DVDs.

Anyway, I've just looked at ATV FLASH and this lets you rip the DVD images VIDEO_TS folders, copy them onto the apple TV and play them, menus and all, straight on the box. This is pretty much all I need.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I've just hacked my ATV and store my ripped DVDs on a networked drive. If you install NitoTV you can access the network drive and play the DVD images. Note, it currently doesn't support Dolby Digital 5.1.

6. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Except your thread title says, "Selling DVD collection"

Meaning that you want to rip the DVD's and then sell them. Thus you don't have the right to keep the images, when you sell the DVD you sell the right to watch that movie. You can't have it both ways. Now if you rip them, and throw the DVD's in a box or even destroy them; that's fine. You cannot GIVE them away or sell them without running afoul of the law.

I have over 300 DVDs and wanted to rip them all, but that's a ton of work. Plus I still have to store the discs. I would remove them from their boxes and just save the disc itself in one of those large CD folders and toss the boxes... But then again I have a nice storage case for them now, so why bother. Besides, that way you have a backup incase you lose a hard drive or something.

7. foxxuk thread starter macrumors newbie

Jeez, at least I paid for my DVDs. You'd be better condescending those who torrent films or sneak in at the cinema.

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Sorry, I don't think you will get any sympathy here, whether you got them from a torrent or ripped them from a dvd and then sold the dvd.

Hopefully your question was answered thou..

9. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

So as long as you do your stealing in your home without the internet it is OK?

Nope, a thief by any other name is still a thief.

10. foxxuk thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry but I entirely disagree. If I can pay £4 to download a movie on iTunes to keep for life, then when buying a DVD for £17 I should be more than entitled to make a copy of it to keep. If your argument here is that it's more moral to throw the disc in the bin after copying it, rather than donate it to a charity shop, I can see why on paper it is 'intellectual property theft' but it's also a waste of the earth's resources landfilling unscratched discs that could bring money in for charities. And regardless of all that, it's something which will become redundant in the future once DVDs disappear and films are just downloaded.

11. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

You don't own the movie, you own the right to watch it. Once you sell the disc you transfer those rights to whoever owns it. Thus it is theft no less then borrowing a friends dvd and ripping a copy or shop lifting it.

Is it a waste of resources? Yes, I guess it would be. If you want to be ethical and good to the Earth, give the disc away without copying it.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

OP, you are not within your legal right to buy, rip and then sell the physical DVD while keeping a copy of that DVD on any drive. Likewise, you are not within your legal right to buy, copy onto another DVD, and then sell the original. However, as I said in my initial reply ... all legalities aside.

I am not judging you by any means but if you think for a moment that you will be able to put up a "good" fight, you're mistaken. Best review the thread, determine if your question was answered, and then move on.

13. Buzz Bumble Guest

Nope, there's only one massive problem with this ... "ripping" DVDs, CDs, games and then selling the originals makes you nothing more than a pirate scumbag. END OF STORY.

If you don't want DVDs "gathering dust" than simply buy your movies via the iTunes or similar webstores.

14. khongaeng macrumors regular

Legalities Aside

Let's get back to the OPs original question. Is there a good program for keeping track of which DVDs you have and then calling them back to be played?

Currently I use Delicious Library (awesome program) to keep track of which movies I have in my Library. And then I have all of my movies stored on a hard disc ripped in Video_TS folders. Anyone have a more seamless setup?

And so I don't get flamed, I have all my discs in folders stored away in my attic, so while the physical discs are collecting discs, their digital twins are being used.