Selling first gen iPhone problems

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 61132, Aug 27, 2008.

1. 61132 Guest

Ok guys, I need some advice here, how do I sell my old iPhone? I placed it on ebay, and TWICE the purchaser is from Russia, and does not pay. This is really getting annoying, all I want to do is sell my iPhone for a decent price (unlocked). I also put it on craigslist, and all I got were nigeria scams.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Please note you may not use this thread to sell your iPhone outside the Marketplace... soliciting advice on using CL / eBay / etc is fine, however.

3. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Did you give second chance offers to any of your other bidders? Perhaps you want to limit the next auction to only ship to US addresses. Make sure paypal is required and is the only form of payment accepted.

The first auction I held for my 1st gen iPhone was won by some guy that thought it was the 3G despite the auction description being very clear that it was not, very irritating. The second time around the winner was from Australia but actually knew what they bid on and was very prompt with payment and email correspondence. I shipped the iPhone to him, he received it successfully and I ended up $385 richer.

4. 61132 thread starter Guest

Sorry, just didn't want to ignore if there was an opportunity here. I'll make a separate post in the marketplace

5. redrory macrumors newbie

6. 61132 thread starter Guest

Yes, paypal was the only form of payment. I sent a second chance offer to the next person, but they are from Lithuania with limited feedback, so I'm not holding my breath on that one. I'm not sure, I guess my auction is just attracting the idiots out there? What is the purpose of winning an auction and not paying, annoy me? lol

7. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Might be some jerks that are seeing if the iPhone will get shipped before they submit payment...

8. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Monitor the listing to block and delete bids that are from new users, and make sure you are present to do so during the last hour.

Not that hard, but don't expect to get $500 dollars for your iPhone like you did with those fake bids.

9. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

x2 on blocking non-us bidders. Also, if you get an email regarding a "question from a seller" with a link to answer in My eBay, I'd avoid clicking the link and just go to ebay and log in manually; I sold both of my iPhones yesterday on ebay, and got an email from ebay warning that somebody tried phishing me with one of those. Fortunately, I hadn't clicked the links. Oh, and I got $450 for my first gen phone, and $750 for my 3G, both from the US, paid via paypal from verified buyers.