Price Advice Selling for $450

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cclloyd, Sep 15, 2012.

1. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

What is the track record of trying to sell iPhones for the full price (the extra 150 that is subsidized)? Like how many people are able to sell let's say a 4S, normally 350 without a contract, for 350. Do people still buy at that price?

I planned on selling my 4S, but my brother might steal my upgrade so I wouldn't get the 150$ discount. Do you think I would (easily) be able to sell my 32GB 4S for $350 on Amazon, or would I have to sell it for $200, at which I would just sell it to Gazelle?

2. RedCroissant Suspended

If your 4S is unlocked and in good-great condition, then $350 would be on the lower end of what you could expect to get for it. If it's still locked however, then I doubt that anyone would buy it from you for more than what any of the major carriers would charge.

For reference, Apple is selling their 16GB unlocked 4S for $549. The total price for me with taxes would be $600. SO I think that you could ask for a minimum of $500(again if it's unlocked) and expect to get that price.

3. cclloyd thread starter macrumors 68000

cclloyd

Well it's sprint and it's locked. But come decmeber after the $100 price, drop, you don't think I could get $350 for it?

4. RedCroissant Suspended

You might be able to if someone won't qualify for the subsidized price on their own, but I know that paying more for a used and locked device would be a waste of money.

It just comes down to who would want it more. I know that I would not pay $350 for a Verizon-locked iPhone when I could buy an unlocked one for $450ish and take it to any GSM carrier and end up saving even more money that way.