Selling gift cards on eBay?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by angemon89, Dec 25, 2008.

1. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

What steps should I take to safely sell a Gift Card on eBay? I don't want to sell it and then have the buyer claim that the gift card has a zero balance on the card. Anyone know what steps I should take before selling/shipping off the card?

I've sold a gift card on ebay before but it was only like $20 so I didn't think much of it. I have a $100 gift card this time though. And yeah, I got it for Christmas I just don't really ever buy anything from there (Macy's). I usually only buy jeans there but I have plenty of those right now and I would rather buy some shoes from a different store. ;)

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Go to Best Buy's web page and take a screen shot of the current balance. Wait for payment before you give the number or actually ship the card physically. I wouldn't know as I've never done this.

3. angemon89 thread starter macrumors 68000

angemon89

Yeah, I know that stuff. I just don't know what I could do *IF* someone gets the card, uses it, and says the balance is zero then files a paypal chargeback. I don't know how I would be able to prove that I shipped it with the amount I stated/sold it for.

4. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

5. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

There's nothing you can do.

If they file a PayPal claim against you, they'll win.

Gotta love eBay...

6. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

You COULD take a video of you putting in the info on the Gift Card onto Macy's web site, and then in the same video, sealing it inside a ...envelope/box/thing. And handing it to the Mailman.

7. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Unless it's one uninterrupted shot, it could be faked.

Even then, it could be faked with a pre-designed web site that mimics Macy's (or a side deal with the mailman).

You can't win with eBay. You really can't.