Price Advice Selling High-end 2010 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nielsenius, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

Like many others, this spring I'll buying a 2012 MacBook Pro. I currently own a 2010 MacBook Pro. For those experienced in the sale of used computers, I'd like some thoughts on how much my current MacBook Pro will be worth when sale time rolls around.

Current MacBook Pro's specifications:
    - 15" hi-res anti-glare display
    - 2.8 GHz i7 processor
    - 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM
    - 500 GB 5400 RPM stock HDD (it has a 115 GB OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD in it now, but I'm selling that separately).
    - nVidia GeForce GT 330m graphics card

The computer is in excellent condition with only a few very minor scuffs/scratches. It looks brand new besides some worn keys. I'd like to sell it a few days after I purchase the new MacBook Pro. How much can I reasonably sell my MacBook Pro for at the time period listed? Should I sell it with its current SSD or the stock Apple hard drive?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay, or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what you may be able to charge. Then adjust your price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

3. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Dont sell it with the SSD, it doesn't increase the selling price enough to justify the purchase price of the SSD.
    on rbay germany ur exact model but with the 2.66 i7 sells for 1000-1300 euros. i think 1300 is the max you can expect for yours, sadly.

check ebay where ever you are. look for ended listings of your model to see what they sold for.

Also try to sell it before the expected release date as the price can sometimes drop significantly once the new model has been released.

4. Nielsenius thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I forgot about mac2sell. According to them it's worth $1,580.

Thanks for the price-range advice. I'd gladly take 1300 euros ($1700), but I guess $1500 is more likely. I can probably sell the SSD for $100, so I guess I won't include it with the Mac, thanks. I'd sell my current Mac before buying the new one if I could, but nobody knows the exact launch date. Going without a computer for a few days or weeks just isn't an option.