Selling i-pod touch - best way to wipe clean

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by nicochick, Mar 7, 2010.

1. nicochick macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm selling my touch and have heard of a couple of ways to wipe it clean, can anyone tell me the best way please? Also, most importantly I don't want it to be linked to my i-tunes account anymore. Is there any way I can unlink it and what happens when I bu an i-phone (hope to do shortly) will I be able to link it to my i-tunes without any problem?

Thanks for your help in advance!

2. celticpride678

Plug it into iTunes and restore it as a new device, not allowing any information to sync to the device.

3. androiphone macrumors 65816

I would say Settings > General > Reset. is better as it actually writes over the data on the device and leaves it in the state as you bought it with the connect to itunes symbol
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2110

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

According to that same link, the iPhone 3GS and the equivalent iPod Touch (32 and 64 GB, latest generation) don't erase any data, but remove the encryption keys, rendering the data inaccessible and marked as empty space so that it will be written over. Theoretically, since it's encrypted you wouldn't be able to access it but that doesn't mean it's impossible.