Selling iBook, but I don't want to wipe it clean

thewhitehart

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
I'm selling my iBook G4 to a close friend. My 'hook' is that it's loaded with all the great software it originally came with, all the convenient software I downloaded, and updated with Leopard.

I want to spare myself the hassle of a clean install, so I just intend to delete my home folder completely. He is a close friend, but I want to wipe all of my info off of the mac. Where else might personally identifiable info be besides the home folder I'm deleting? I noticed that the system keychain has a 'back to my mac' key, should I delete this, or any other keychain items? The only things I intend to let him have are my wireless network password and access to my printer.

iBecks

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
I'm selling my iBook G4 to a close friend. My 'hook' is that it's loaded with all the great software it originally came with, all the convenient software I downloaded, and updated with Leopard.

I want to spare myself the hassle of a clean install, so I just intend to delete my home folder completely. He is a close friend, but I want to wipe all of my info off of the mac. Where else might personally identifiable info be besides the home folder I'm deleting? I noticed that the system keychain has a 'back to my mac' key, should I delete this, or any other keychain items? The only things I intend to let him have are my wireless network password and access to my printer.
Any saved passwords in Safari or Firefox?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

If you didn't have "Empty Trash securely" checked in finder, or use srm from the console, then your data is recoverable unless you were using filevault with a good password or secure erase.