Selling iMac and Air for new setup...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gianthobbit, Jun 27, 2011.

  1. gianthobbit macrumors 6502

    Apr 20, 2010
    Been kicking around this idea and wondering if its smart or dumb.

    I currently have a Core2Duo 2009 iMac with 8GB a memory. I think I paid around $1,700 for it about a year and a half ago. I also have a base model $999 11 inch air.

    I love my iMac and I love my air however, I feel I don't use the air much. I have a home office and it totally needed when I am doing presentations etc. 98% of the time the iMac is the main machine. Its funny as I honestly think the Air is faster than my iMac because of that insane SSD speed boost.

    Here is what I am thinking:
    • Selling the iMac (with Apple Care and extra RAM) for about $1,500
    • Selling the Air for $850ish

    That comes out to about $2,350. Take that money and buy a 27 inch cinema display. One of the brand new Apple Airs with the upgraded processors and thunderbolt, use this as a docked station at home and portable everywhere else. I get a faster chipset, SSD and future proofing it with thunderbolt. Could get some high speed storage for at home to store my media etc. I also want to buy a used dedicated Mac mini to run as my media server (air video, iTunes running 24x7 etc):

    11 inch 128 GB with 4GB memory $1,300
    Cinema display $999
    Used Mac Mini $350

    So basically I would be doing a complete re-do on my entire workflow and current setup. Pros would be in day to day things I think the air would be faster than my iMac. One machine would be easier to balance that having two (even with dropBox...) The loss of a dedicated graphics card would be a bummer however... Does this totally outweigh everything else? I do a bit of screen casting and occasionally photoshop. Photoshop runs fine on my air right now but the screencasts (screen flow) does concern me however...

    What do you guys think, going to be a paint to sell this all and then rebut but I would only be spending $300-$400ish hopefully.

    Thanks much!
  2. Yumunum macrumors 65816


    Apr 24, 2011
    I honestly think that's a very good idea.

    As long as your workflow doesn't require power, you'll do better with the MacBook Air due to the SSD just making simple things faster. Managing two computers is also a pain. Personally I'm gonna be buying the high end MacBook Air and a nice HDTV for an external monitor. One computer, nice big screen when I need it, it's perfect.
  3. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

    May 17, 2011
    But you have too hook them up when you want to use the big screen. It is not very convenient on a daily basis. If it's done once in a while, then it's OK. I think nowadays two machines are ideal for heavy computer users: One notebook and one desktop computers.
  4. urkel macrumors 68030

    Nov 3, 2008
    I'm slowly moving in the same direction as you but I really don't know where we'll end up. All I know is that the iPad has taken away a large portion of my wifes need to own a computer And the only thing I use my 15 MacBook Pro for is Aperture, iTunes Server and Flash Sites.

    My wife already got rid of her 09 MacBook + iPod Touch in favor of an iPad 2. And I'm in the process of dumping my MacBook Pro for the new Air. I had an i5 MacBook Pro and it was plenty fast for Aperture so if the Air specs are anywhere near that then it'll probably handle A3 faster than my MBP ever did.

    The problem I have is the iTunes server. I really wish they built it in to the new time capsule since it seems a natural fit there but since they didn't then I don't know what to do. Mac Minis are too expensive and I really don't want to manage a 2nd computer just to serve media.
  5. gianthobbit thread starter macrumors 6502

    Apr 20, 2010
    Get a used mac mini. Does not take much to run iTunes 24x7. A friend of mine just picked one up that is core 2 Duo for about $340ish.
  6. alust2013 macrumors 601


    Feb 6, 2010
    On the fence
    It's not that inconvenient, I do so quite often during school and it takes 15 seconds to set up or go mobile.. It's certainly more convenient than file transfers.
  7. cloudTiger macrumors newbie

    Jun 27, 2011
    South Carolina
    I'm sure you are following the rumor mill as much as everyone else, but I'll kick in that the Cinema Displays could be updated soon with TB ports.

    I know it's not a huge deal for the display itself, as it can be a the end of a TB daisy chain anyways - but there is always the slim (OK, very slim) chance Apple rolls one out with a matte option.

    Here's to hoping the new Airs and ACD's are rolled out about the same time. Buying them together extends the Applecare purchased for the Air to cover the ACD also at no additional cost (as I understand it).
  8. FuNGi macrumors 65816


    Feb 26, 2010
    Why bother

    I don't know man but it sounds like a big hassle for a small bump in performance of only some applications. As your imac is only 1.5 years old and your Air even less why not ride it out for awhile and update after another year when more Thunderbolt peripheral options are out there. There is a certain level of security in having two computers as well - downtime during repairs or in the event of a laptop theft etc. The time you save using the SSD Air is likely going to be less than the time you will spend selling and setting up your new system ;)
  9. urkel, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011

    urkel macrumors 68030

    Nov 3, 2008
    I understand your suggestion, but I'm really buying into the whole Post-PC stuff Apple is preaching. And thats why I question the idea of buying an entire computer just to do a single simple task. I'm trying to get rid of computers in order to simplify our lives so I'd prefer Apple create a solution for hosting media to their own devices (AppleTV/iPod/iPad).
  10. Dark Void macrumors 68030

    Dark Void

    Jun 1, 2011
    i don't think you'll get $1,500 for a c2d imac when someone can just get a quad i5 21.5'' for $1,099 and only $169 for apple care, assuming no discounts.
  11. prisoner54 macrumors newbie

    Aug 15, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Simplifying workflow...

    OP: I'm all for simplifying workflow, and one machine that can do all you need, and upscale to cinema display, is the right way to go...

    But as Archlord says, you're unlikely to get $1500 for your 2009 iMac. Macs do hold their value but I don't think that's realistic.

    Also, I tried using a second hand Mac Mini as a media server, upgraded RAM for that purpose, and also used it to record TV etc. But in the end I hardly used it - now use the PS3 to stream media, record TV (I'm in the UK) and play the odd game. If I didn't have a PS3 I'd get a NAS with a built-in torrent client.

    Personally, my beat-up second hand 2009 MacBook Pro is, unbenownst to it, whiling away its time until the new MBAs come along. Those SSDs are like greased lightning, I was so impressed after trying the current crop that I replaced the HDD as fast as I could. Makes a huge difference in day-to-day operation -
  12. 7thMac macrumors 6502

    May 10, 2010
    It looks like a good plan provided that you can get the used prices that you quoted. Particular with respect to the iMac, it may be a stretch, but who knows, it's worth a shot.
  13. gianthobbit thread starter macrumors 6502

    Apr 20, 2010
    I never even thought about the upgraded cinema displays. That is a really good point.

    Also, I liked the advice to wait it out and see what thunderbolt brings to the table etc. My machines are fine for now I guess. I would assume that Apple will begin rolling out SSD as standard options on many of their machines (with higher capacities) in the future and Thunderbolt is still in its infancy.

    Going to wait it out, thanks for the perspectives!
  14. magid macrumors 6502


    Jan 6, 2003
    I would def sell the air now as you mentioned you don't use it all that much. You will get a lot more now than you will after the update. Gluck.

Share This Page