Selling iMac and buying a new Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by trip1ex, Mar 13, 2009.

  1. trip1ex macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2008
    #1
    HOpefully I'll get $875 tomorrow for my 20" alum iMac 2.0ghz C2D 250gb hd 2400xt gpu computer. Buyer says he's coming, but you never know.

    Is that a decent price? Seems like it based on what I skimmed off Ebay considering Ebay would rob me of fees and there's shipping too.

    Anyway not sure what to get next. I'm all over the map.

    MBA? Not sure I can afford or want to spend my dough on a new MBA. But man would love the 9400M on the Rev. B. Rev. A's though are what? $999? Can I justify spending $800 more for some graphics and 40gb more of hd space? I don't really have to game, but how about editing some home movies once in awhile? Rev. A good enough for that?

    Macbook? I could do this too. I guess the downside is I hate the screen. The new one is better, but still the same crappy panel. A big reason I like the MBA is the screen.

    MBP? I suppose since I don't exactly need a laptop a MBP would be fine. I would get a good screen and better specs and now you can change out the hard drive even.

    Mini? This was my first choice. $600 to start with. I'll add a screen later. I guess the problem is I hate to get a 3rd party screen that looks fugly with the Mini although one reason to do this is to use the screen for a game console or something. And you don't get a mic or camera with a 3rd party screen that works with the Mac or can you? Other hassle is storage. I would need some more storage. Seems like 1TB external is the way to go, but then it kind of defeats the purpose of having a small form factor if you have a few drives attached to it - one for back up. It would be sweet to attach the 24" Cinema Display to this. But $900 for a display and I can't even use it with a console or other device?

    imac? I'd like to get something different. I've had iMacs for a few years now. But it is hard to beat the value. I mean $999 for a 2.66ghz 20" refurb when they are in stock means it's tough to go with a $600 Mini except I could use the monitor for a 360 or PS3 if I want one down the road. Or I can step up to a 24" iMac. I'm thinking about that. If I get enough storage with it or add my own internal or external storage then I could use the thing as a bedroom/office entertainment center as well. Panel seems decent enough although I am fine with my current 20" panel I suppose.

    mac pro? I would love this thing too, but I think this is definitely out of my price range. An 8core Pro with a Cinema display would be great. I have been ripping DVDs and encoding them for iPods so 8 cores would rock. But $3500? I might as well save $2k and buy 1 movie a week on iTunes for 4 years instead of buying DVDs and ripping my current collection.


    I may play around with a MBA for a while. Rev A for $999 sounds awful tempting. I figure I can play with it for 2 weeks and still be able to return it if I don't like it. Or if I change my 6 months later I'm sure a Rev A will hold alot of its value since I'm getting in for only $999 to start with.

    Or I'm probably leaning towards a 24" iMac or $600 Mini.
     
  2. techound1 macrumors 68000

    techound1

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2006
  3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

    neiltc13

    Joined:
    May 27, 2006
    #3
    You really should have thought about this a bit more before you sell. None of the computers you mention are going to give you a really noticeable performance boost, except maybe the Mac Pro.

    MacBook Air will be a huge step backwards.
     
  4. trip1ex thread starter macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2008
    #4
    I'm not worried about the performance boost. REality is 99% of what I do isn't going to get faster or slower to any noticeable degree +/- 500mhz.

    I do get antsy though and like to get new sht even if it's not much different. But not made of money either so I have to keep that in mind as well.

    Hell worst case I might just get the same computer (refurb is $849 in and out of stock on Apple's site) and for about the same price (as what I'm getting for my current iMac) I'll get another year warranty (mine is almost out) and a free $100 printer from Apple. :) (edit: actually I would get a 400mhz speedboost too as the $849 iMac has a 2.4ghz c2D.)

    I'm not sure what I'll do. I have an old eMac that I can survive on for a few weeks until I get my new Mac. I have my Mac currently backed up. (I think I'll back it up on a 2nd drive just to be sure though.)

    I did decide not to get the MBA Rev. A. I think those graphics affect the whole system and not just games. OR at least it seems to me.

    It's probably a 24" iMac or 20" 2.66ghz or a Mac mini for me.
     
  5. entatlrg macrumors 68040

    entatlrg

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2009
    Location:
    Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
    #5
    if you're looking for a really nice notebook, thin, light, GREAT screen to look at, GREAT keyboard to type on then the MBA is a step forward not backward...

    you have to be willing to sacrifice some storage space, ports and speed and since you do stuff with video that might be a problem unless you had a desktop for back up ... or maybe if you bought the Rev B MBA it might have enough power to do the work for you
     
  6. soulman901 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2009
    #6
    MBA is a waste of money. Put that cash into a good iMac or Mac Book and upgrade the memory. If you really want a screamer, buy yourself a Mac Pro.
     
  7. The Hammer macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2008
    Location:
    Toronto, Canada
    #7
    I'm wondering the same thing about the mic and screen?
     
  8. trip1ex thread starter macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2008
    #8
    I sold my 2.0 ghz C2D iMac. I got $900 actually.

    What to buy. What to buy. Decisions. Decisions. The forum for the waffling, can't make a decision types. Or maybe just the think out loud types.

    Refurb iMac. $849, $999, $1199 models are the choices. Add $40-$70 for tax.

    Along with the $1370ish (no tax) new 24" iMac (after discounts) and the new $599 ($30 tax) Mac Mini.


    ......what to do. What to do. Maybe I'll type away on this 1ghz G4 eMac until Snow Leopard comes out.

    I guess my six-sided die will work for this decision. .........
     
  9. dbwie macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    Location:
    Albuquerque, NM, USA
    #9
    reason for selling

    Consider the reason why you sold the iMac you had, and make sure your next Mac addresses that reason.
     
  10. trip1ex thread starter macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2008
    #10
    I sold it cause I could. :)

    NO real reason other than to get something new I guess. So maybe I should get a 24" or Mini so it really something "new."
     

Share This Page