Selling iMac, buying NEW iMac . . . Best Way ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lugesm, Jun 6, 2011.

1. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Never sold a Mac before. I am buying a new 27" iMac, selling my 24" iMac.

Is eBay the best way ? Anyone have experience with this? I have never sold anything on eBay; this would be a first for me.

Thanks for your advice.

Regards,
    L

2. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

ebay charges you but not till the item is sold...also shipping on the computer might be expensive..just keep that in mind

3. Herdfan macrumors 6502

If you have never sold anything on ebay, you are going to have a "score" of zero. That might make some people leery about bidding on something like a computer, and as a result, you might get less money.

I would try your local Craigslist first. That way you will get a local buyer who can look at the machine and you won't have to ship it.

4. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

I live in a small town, so Craigslist not a good option.

I have bought many items on eBay, and I have a perfect record as a buyer. Not sure that transfers as a seller.

5. Steamrunner macrumors member

Although I've sold plenty of stuff on eBay (including iPhones), I always treat it as a last resort.

My preferred way to find a buyer for my old tech is in person - usually at work. An email to my colleagues, followed by a posting on our intranet if there are no takers, normally finds me a buyer. For my colleagues I charge less for a quick sale (i.e. I'll let them know that if there's no interest in the first week then it'll go on the intranet at a higher price).

Failing that, an email or Facebook message to friends and wider family is my next step - quite often someone is on the lookout for a cheap camera or computer for a parent, and as long as it works they're not fussed if it's the very latest.

Finally, if you belong to any groups/clubs etc then an email or posting on their website is worth a try.

Only after trying all that do I resort to eBay. With large kit, like a computer, shipping can be high and offputting, so I'd start by putting a Buy It Now price with free, or cheap, shipping. Research other (successful) completed listings for the same item and price yours accordingly. Ignore the very highest and very lowest sales - it's better to sell for a slightly lower price than not sell at all.

Be honest about the state of the item, explicity state what is and isn't included, overstate any scratches or defects (better to do that than be accused of hiding something) and put up LOTS of photos. The more detail you give, the more comfortable people will be buying or bidding. Do NOT use stock photos off the Apple website - take your own photos, and use a decent camera. By doing this, I've sold items for a higher price than others, purely because - I assume - people felt more comfortable with my item than with one that just had a stock photo and no description.

If it doesn't sell as a BIN then go for auction - my preferred method here is a low start with a reserve. Check the fees eBay charges - last time I sold something you paid more for a higher start price.

Finally, read up on eBay's seller protection and make sure you understand what you need to do to stand the best chance of eBay covering you in the event of a problem - but accept that you may well end up with no item and no money. It's never happened to me, but a colleague lost an iPad and the Paypal payment because the "buyer" claimed his account had been hacked.

As for your feedback, it depends on the buyer - some will just see "100%" and be happy; others will wonder why you've never sold anything and be a bit wary. However, since your first sale is an old, low-value item (it's not an iPhone 4 or an iPad 2 for example) it does look reasonably genuine. Every seller has to start sometime! And again - be honest and open. Ask for, and answer, questions. And don't hide ANYTHING.

6. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Steamrunner . . . .

Thanks for the excellent comments. Very helpful.

Regards,
    L

7. wxman2003 Suspended

You can sell it to gazelle.com or other online companies. You may not get as much as if you sold it on ebay, but they quote you a price, send you a box with free shipping, and then mail you a check within a few weeks. I have sold a few phones that way and no hassles whatsoever.

8. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Check powermax.com too. Instant sell, and i think they pay for you to ship it to them. You will NOT get top dollar for it though. Just another option.

9. HBOC macrumors 68020

Also, sometimes eBay will buy iMacs and such. I know they have "instant sales" on iPhones and such. You could also list it here in the marketplace if you so choose.

If you go the eBay route, I would take the computer (in the box - or better yet, go get a box that you plan on shipping it in and get a price to ship it) so you know what to charge for shipping. Going off of what others' charge is ok, but remember that lots of sellers have accounts and shipping discounts (free shipping). I am a "TRS" and powerseller, but I only get 20% off of the bill from eBay, no shipping discounts.

I found out the hard way about shipping when i ate $20 to ship something that sold for way cheap....

Also, if you are closer to a big city (like 60-90 miles), perhaps posting in that cities' craigslist and stating that you would meet them half way at like a Starbucks. People bring in iMacs all the time to my fiances' Starbucks.