Selling iMac - how to return to factory install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by andyroberts, Jul 2, 2008.

1. andyroberts macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I've just purchased a new iMac and now need to sell my old one, but can't figure out how to return it the factory install as when it arrived, when you first switch on your mac it asks you to enter all your own info, how do I install it so this will happen for whoever buys it from me?

Thanks

Andy

2. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

Well you could do an erase and install from your original OSX restore discs. If you don't have them anymore, I don't know but I'm sure someone else will:D

3. captainbeefheat macrumors regular

Or from any OS X install disc, in options just before installing. You might want to also consider using the permanent eraser tools for your personal files to protect your privacy and make sure there totally gone from the hard drive. In Leopard you can turn this on in preferences somewhere, there's also lots of third party software to do this too.

4. nokiauk macrumors member

and after the you've done the above and re-installed the OS just hold down the power button for 5-10 seconds to turn the machine off when the introduction video starts playing, when the new owner starts it up, the movie is the 1st thing they will see and they can then proceed to enter their own details.

5. andyroberts thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all your prompt replies guys, this is exactly what I was looking for ;-)