Selling iMac .. Re-installing snow leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hypomnema, Apr 20, 2010.

1. hypomnema macrumors newbie

I am selling my old iMac in a few days once my new iMac arrives. I know I need to use disk utility to securely erase the system data. However, the computer came with Leopard installed. I have since upgraded to snow leopard. If I run disk utility and erase, will I have to reinstall snow leopard?

Does anyone have any other recommendations to ensure the machine is ready for sale?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can use the Snow Leopard DVD to Erase and Install (make sure you use SECURE ERASE via the Options button in Disk utility while booted from the SL DVD) the OS.

If you erase it, nothing is on the Mac, thus you have to re-install it.

If you want to give the SL DVD away with the purchase, you don't need to have a Leopard installation prior to the Snow Leopard installation.

But if you only give away the Leopard DVDs with the sell, install only Leopard, as the buyer has no legal right to own SL if s/he doesn't own the original DVD.

Also using a search engine like MRoogle (my signature) and its little sister Bing or Yahoo or Google will bring many, many threads and guides on how to properly erase a Mac prior to selling.

3. hypomnema thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I had searched and found threads. I just hadn't found anything specifically addressing an upgraded computer. I have a family pack copy of snow leopard, so I don't want to give that away. I didn't know that the buyer wouldn't have a legal right to SL without the disc either. So I either re-install SL after erasing and give the new owner an illegal operating system, or sell it with Leopard installed. Good to know. Thanks for your reply.