Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poisontwilight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Hi everyone, I'm planning on selling my imac on eBay but I've lost my receipt. There's still warranty for half a year so can the buyer still use the warranty with just the mac's serial # or would they need an original receipt?

If they do need a receipt will a copy of the online receipt I received from Apple be enough?

Thank You-

thagomizer

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2005
USA
If it's clear from the serial number that the machine is less than a year from it's manufacture date, then Apple will still accept it as being under warranty. Otherwise, you'll need the original receipt.

To check the date of manufacture, type your serial number into here:

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

If you remember where you bought your Mac, ask the store to fax you the sales receipt. Many stores (like Amazon) keep them indefinitely, and you can print it out online.

poisontwilight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Thanks for the response -

I checked on the apple support page and it did say that the imac has warranty until october. So all should be fine if the buyer would like to extend their applecare protection?

thagomizer

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2005
USA
Thanks for the response -

I checked on the apple support page and it did say that the imac has warranty until october. So all should be fine if the buyer would like to extend their applecare protection?

Generally: It should be ok, although technically, AppleCare protection requires that you have the original receipt (read the fine print). I think that as long as the AppleCare is purchased before 1 year from the manufacturing date, there's no reason for Apple not to honor the extended warranty.

But in your case, since you bought it online directly from Apple, there should be no problem at all, since Apple knows exactly when it was purchased. A copy of the online receipt is proof enough.

Along with a copy of that online receipt, give the new buyer a typed letter transferring ownership of the iMac from you to him/her, sign and date it. Make sure the serial # of the iMac is in the letter. That should be all they ever need if they want to buy their own AppleCare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.