Selling iPad 1 - Some Questions

Discussion in 'iPad' started by stephg, Jul 1, 2012.

1. stephg macrumors member

stephg

I am going to be selling my iPad 1 - 64GB 3G - to an acquaintance. I have already moved my grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan to my iPad 3. That was done as soon as I got my new iPad when it came out. Yesterday I restored the iPad 1 and updated the software. So my questions are:

Do I need to remove the sim card from the iPad or can I just leave it in for him to activate if he wants to? My understanding is that there is no personal information on it, but I could take it out and tell him he needs to get his own if there is even a possibility of a problem. There is no way he can activate the old account on it, right?

Now that I have restored it to original settings, iTunes is asking if I want to set it up as a new iPad. Should I do that or just leave it as is for him to start fresh on?

If there is anything else I should be doing before selling it, I would appreciate the heads up. There shouldn't be any personal information on it since it has been restored, as far as I know. Thanks in advance for any help with this!

2. StevenT42 macrumors 6502

I sold my iPad 1/64/3G in May. The data plan had expired, so I left the sim in.

I would not set up the iPad as new...leave that for the new owner. (In fact, you don't even need to plug into iTunes to set it up.)

The only concern I would have is that the restore might leave your Apple ID signed in. This happened to my iPhone 4, which I sold to a friend after I did an Erase All Content and Settings. I had to go in and remove my Apple ID from the iCloud settings, and sign out of the Store in its settings.

3. stephg thread starter macrumors member

stephg

Thanks for your response. I guess I better check that out!