Selling iPad 2 for MBA

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iVeBeenDrinkin', Mar 23, 2011.

1. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I am going to sell my iPad 2 and purchase an ultimate 11-inch MBA. After having the iPad 2 for a couple of weeks, I feel that even the base model MBA is a much better buy.

2. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just depends on what you want out of your device. I have both and rarely pop open the MBA at home. Much easier and more fun to surf the net and read books on my iPad. The MBA really only comes out when I'm on the road or when I need to install updates.

3. michaelz macrumors regular

Ordered iPad2 online to replace my iPad1. Waiting for next generation of MBA to replace my MBP. But iPad and MBA can't replace each other.

4. h00ligan macrumors 68030

The MBA update is so close, I don't think I'd do that just now.

5. iVeBeenDrinkin' thread starter macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Agreed, sell now, buy at refresh.

6. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

7. apd8 macrumors member

If you have a limit budget or don't want to spend a lot of money, you should think about which one meet your needs the best before buying.

If you don't mind spending money, buy both. You cannot directly compare them because they are made for different purposes.

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

That is your choice. To me the iPad2 is a great Internet Appliance while the MBA is a poor excuse for a laptop.:eek:

If all you want to do is cruise the Internet the iPad is your best bet but if you need a computer, get a real computer.

9. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

From a guy thats never owned a macbook air?

The ipad is about play...the air is about play and getting serious work done.

Depends on what you need.

10. newdeal macrumors 68020

I have had the iPad 1, iPad 2, 13" MacBook air and multiple 13" MacBook pros. The MacBook air was a worthless computer simply because it's only advantage over the pro is being a bit thinner and a bit lighter. The pro is the better laptop in every way. Neither of them compete with the iPad simply because the MacBook air you want to buy will be lucky to get 5 hours of battery life in real world use and the iPad gets 10 hours no matter what. To me that is the difference between being tethered to an outlet or not and so the air is practically not even portable since you need to drag the ac adaptor evywhere you go.

11. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I wouldn't go so far as to say the MBA is useless but you make a great point about the battery life issue. Maybe we're just spoiled these days, but five hours is way too short. I do indeed feel like I have to carry the adapter with me everywhere, which of course detracts from portability and is just a general pain in the ass. With the iPad I pretty much never have to worry about battery life. Even if i I do have to bring along the charger, it's so small and light that it's pretty much just an afterthought.

12. perplex macrumors regular

if you dont have a serious computer then spring for the MBA no doubt.

but if you have a relaible computer stick with the iPad2. The new dual processors is about to blow the roof off in terms of apps and capabilities

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Depending on your needs the MBA is a great computer. I think the biggest knock I have and others have seem to be the backlit keyboard. If that's the biggest issue for that laptop, then its a great computer.

Seriously if all we can do is gripe about the keyboard just consider how much apple got right.

Sell now and enjoy the MBA.

14. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

15. alflavor macrumors regular

Depends on your needs, I have a MBA which I love, amazing computer, also iphone and do fancy getting an ipad too (1 or 2) for iOS gaming and sofa video watching etc.