Price Advice Selling iPad 2 - Need help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jackhdev, Feb 17, 2012.

1. jackhdev, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2012

jackhdev macrumors 6502

Hi guys. I'm selling my iPad 2 (White, 64 GB + Verizon 3G) on eBay and just want to make sure I'm choosing the right price. It has a few scratches on the corners, and I'm including two Smart Covers (orange polyurethane and navy leather), a clear Smart Cover compatible back case, the chargers, and original box. The warranty expires on March 23.

Do you think $750 is an appropriate price, with bidding starting at $600? I kept in mind that the average person has no idea what's coming ;)

Thanks a lot for your help!

2. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I think that's an ok price. Just keep in mind that people could probably get it for cheaper as a refurb from Apple. (they are currently listed at $599) So they're looking at your used iPad for minimum $600 vs. a factory refurbed like new iPad for the same price minus the smart cover.

Update: Now that I think about it, I think your price is way high. You said it had some scratches on it, so that's going to figure in. You could pay less for an iPad with no scratches on it. People may not know the new one is coming, but that doesn't mean they won't shop around.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

I suspect you're overestimating value. Check Amazon and ebay completed sales. For example on Amazon there are used Good and Like New units for $600-$630 right now.

IMHO included accessories might generate interest but don't necessarily add value or increase the sales price. For example neither your orange smartcover nor clear back case have any value to me, so I wouldn't factor either into my bid. I might bid an extra $20 for a navy smartcover, no more.

But, anything's possible and you just need to find the two people who really value what you're selling and get them into a bidding war. :) Cheers!

4. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I have had the best luck on eBay starting the bid at $0.01. You can set your reserve to protect yourself from having to "give it away."

When you set the price low people will bid, hoping to get a cheap iPad. As people's competitive nature kicks in they will bid each other up.

If you set the starting bid at $600 people may look right past your auction for one they think they can get cheaper.

Just my advice. Good luck with your sale! :)

5. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

This is what I as going to suggest too. Just make sure your reserve is decent otherwise it might turn some people off. But I've found people tend to be competitive and give me a better selling price.

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Reminder from the moderators: This thread is for price advice. You can ask for or offer advice on pricing but you may not offer to buy, sell, or trade in this thread or any other thread in the Buying Tips and Advice forum. *All buying/selling/trading threads must be in the Marketplace forum, which is open only to established members. *See the Rules for the Buying Tips and Advice forum and the Marketplace Rules. *Thank you!