iPad Selling iPad, Keeping iOS 7.1.2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bushido, Nov 16, 2014.

1. bushido Suspended

bushido

Hi,

i am about to sell my old iPad 3 which is still on iOS 7.1.2 because it simply runs better. I was wondering if i could somehow get rid of all the data on the iPad without restoring it, which would update it to iOS 8.1 obviously.

I just want to make sure all my personal information are removed while keeping 7.1.2

thanks!

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

I'm having trouble understanding your question. :confused:

You can't backup iOS 7. It stays with the iPad. The next iPad you purchase may or may not have iOS 7. If your new iPad has iOS 8, you can't restore iOS 7 to it.

3. Rigby macrumors 601

Settings/General/Reset/Erase All Content and Settings

4. bushido thread starter Suspended

bushido

does that send the device into bootloop if it was jailbroken?

i guess i could just disable passcode, find my iphone, sign out of messages, facetime, icloud and delete all the apps manually?

lol no. i want to sell the iPad 3 with iOS 7 because iOS 8 runs like crap on it and i want the owner to decide for themselves if they want to take it to iOS 8 or not. So i was wondering if theres a way to remove all my personal information without restoring it to the latest software.

5. Rigby macrumors 601

Well, you did not mention that the device is jailbroken. The only way to remove the jailbreak is to restore a stock OS. Unless you still have the SHSH blobs, there is no way to restore iOS 7 now.
    Not the same thing. A full erase discards the memory encryption keys, so there is no way to access left-over data. Manually removing everything leaves the content of the flash memory readable, so a determined hacker could in theory extract your old data using specialized software tools.

6. stw85 macrumors member

I believe you can. I just bought a used iPad mini 2 on eBay and it was reset with iOS 7 still running. I had to update the software.

7. Andydigital macrumors regular

Andydigital

If you are jail broken reset won't work and will just get stuck forcing you to force power off the device, no damage should be caused when you eventually restart, this is a feature not an bug and is designed to stop you losing the JB.

If you aren't JB then the reset should work and you will have a blank 7.1.2 device.

If you are JB just delete everything by hand (don't forget your payware Cydia apps) and sign out of the iTunes store, iMessages and find my iPhone before selling it. There is one section where your email address will still be visible on a login page when you sell it, but if you don't mind them knowing your email address you should be ok. I know this as I recently gave my brother an iPad 3 and went through the same process.

8. allthatjazz macrumors regular

Erase All Contents with a JB device will put you in a boot loop. You can however use iLexRat to clear contents and keep the JB.

9. Andydigital macrumors regular

Andydigital

It didn't cause any problems for me, I tried that first and it just hung with a spinning wheel icon for ages (5 minutes plus), I just had to force power off the device by holding the sleep and home button till it powered off, then when I switched it back on I was back to normal as if I had done nothing at all.

10. viperGTS macrumors 65816

You might be able to try out a tool called Semi Restore. It allows you to preserve both your iOS version and jailbreak.

11. bushido thread starter Suspended

bushido

Thanks guys. The guy I sold it to appeared to be a huge tech noob so he didn't care that I simply put ios8 on it