Selling iPhone 3G (legal/illegal?)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shinenjk, Jul 24, 2008.

1. shinenjk macrumors regular

Well I posted on Craigslist to see if anyone is willing to trade their 16G black iPhone 3G with my 8G iPhone 3G (with me paying the $100 difference) and I'm getting tons of responses to sell my iPhone to them for $300+ instead.

I am sort of willing to do this also because I wouldn't mind standing in line for 1hr+ to get an iPhone again (altho the employees might recognize me and give me weird looks).

But what I'm wondering is if this is legal or not? What will happen to my AT&T account then? Can I just pop out my SIM card and stick into the new one that I'll buy?

2. aphexii macrumors 6502

lol, where to begin.... :rolleyes:

Did your parents buy your iPhone for you? Cause based on your post I'm not even sure if you realize what a contract and subsidized price is.

3. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

If you really want a 16GB, best to suck it up, return the 8GB and pay the $20 restock fee, and buy the iPhone you want.

4. Olleh macrumors member

Wouldn't he have to buy out of his contract? (or is that just a UK thing!)

5. shinenjk thread starter macrumors regular

Bleh yea I realized there's a lot more issues to deal with when selling my iPhone lol.

I actually did go to the Apple store today to pay the restocking fee + $100 difference but they only had white 16G iPhones in stock. White iPhones as we all know are just plain UGLY so I didn't get it.

Anyone know how long I have until I can return to switch my 8G iPhone for a 16G iPhone?

6. Olleh macrumors member

How can you say that!?

Plus, i'd guess the standard 28 days?

7. billy9 macrumors newbie

The kid wants to buy another one at the unsubsidized price, what is wrong with that?

They already have him locked into the two year contract, it's not like he is canceling or receiving another discount.

What's the issue?

You can mention contracts all you want, but go have a read. No where in the contract does it say you can't sell your equipment: you just can't end your service prematurely!

8. shinenjk thread starter macrumors regular

I thought I liked the white iPhone from seeing the pictures. But when I checked it out in person at the store, it was ugly and cheap looking. Now if they made the entire thing (back AND front) all white, it might've looked better.

30 days sounds right. If I truly can't deal with 8gigs of space for the next month, I will return to pay the restocking fee + the difference to get a black 16g iPhone. By then hopefully there will be no lines/out of stock BS. :rolleyes:

9. apple. macrumors member

no, cause hes just trading the phone with the same model but with a different capacity.

10. Olleh macrumors member

Oh, I pretty liked the White - if I we're to get one, i'd probably go for 8GB White. I've had my 8GB first generation iPhone, thinking i'd need 16GB, but since November, I don't think there's been a single time when it's full, or I think "GRRR I WISH I HAD MORE SPACE!!".

Maybe it's because I have hardly nothing on it.

11. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

Your in Boston, right? Cambridgeside Galleria has only 16GB whites in stock.

I'll meet you right now, give you $315 (i.e., enough to buy the new phone + pay the sales tax) and I'll drive you to the Peabody store where I think they have 16GB black in stock. Then I'll drop you off at the T so you can get back to Boston.

12. shinenjk thread starter macrumors regular

To answer my own questions...

If you are stuck in a situation like me, where you want to upgrade your 8G iPhone to 16G, the best way to go would be to return it to the Apple Store (or ATT - where you got it) and pay the restocking fee (10%) + the difference. Only way to wiggle out of the restocking fee is if you are exchanging your phone because it was faulty. Then you could probably ask to exchange it for a 16G (if they have it in stock) and just pay the difference.

You CAN sell the iPhone but if you try to rebuy it, they will charge you the ORIGINAL price, NOT the subsidized price of $299 for 16G. So basically I'll need to sell my 8G iPhone for like $500+ which is definitely doable on Ebay, but bleh, not worth the effort/time spent.

13. ec51 macrumors 6502

Um...

LOCKED ones are going anywhere from $700-$900 on eBay.

14. shinenjk thread starter macrumors regular