Selling iPhone 3G on Ebay - Advice on Jailbreak/Unlock

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hambones, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Hambones macrumors member

Ok,

A friend has asked me to sell iphone 3g on ebay. I will jailbreak/unlock to increase the value...but I do have a question on the process.

Should I do a secure wipe - jailbreak - unlock - another wipe (to eliminate the jailbreak)?

I guess my question is, when you unlock, does the phone need to still be activated? I'm tryng to see what condition the phone should exactly be in when I ship it out.

Any help greatly appreciated..Thanks.

2. chox99 macrumors regular

I would Restore+Jailbreak+Unlock so buyers have a choice if they want to use it unlocked/jailbroken. If not, they can just restore and use it legit.

Restore=requires activation, jailbreak/unlock = hactivated(not officially activated)

3. Hambones thread starter macrumors member

Great - Thanks. I assume I would use the Jailbreak option to 'Activate' right?

4. chox99 macrumors regular

Yup Redsn0w will automatically hactivate your phone.

5. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I just put in my auction "Can jailbreak and unlock 3.0 software for free upon request."

I think it's more appealing that way.

6. Hambones thread starter macrumors member

Good point. I guess you can put search terms in the title and attract both parties. Wonder if it'll get more than advertising as already unlocked.

7. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

Has anybody had good success with this? I feel that anyone wanting to pay the premium for an unlocked phone just wants to simply scan across the dozens of listings and see "Unlocked iPhone" rather than dive into the listing, contact the buyer, and then ask them to unlock it. I only ask because it seems like an unnecessary step given there are hundreds listings for unlocked iPhones.

Let us know what your auction ends up going for.

8. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

What's the proper order for upgrading to a new phone and jailbreaking/unlocking the old one? If I activate the new 3GS with my SIM card will I able to turn on my 3G and then jailbreak/unlock it, or will it be stuck on the "Insert SIM Card" screen? Should I jailbreak before I go into the AT&T store and get the 3GS?

9. ichabodkky macrumors member

Here is what I did. I went and bought my 16 gig black 3GS. That deactivated my 3G. When I got back home, I restored the 3g to facotry, let it activate using my 3GS sim card. Then jailbroke and unlocked with redsnow and ultrasnow. It is ready to ship out tomorrow morning to Michigan. It sold for $218.50. Just enough to cover my 3GS. New phone, new warranty, NO out of pocket. Hard to beat that deal.