Selling iPhone 3G on ebay, order of operations?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jeff_siler, Jun 20, 2009.

1. jeff_siler macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I just sold my iPhone 3G 8GB on ebay, and have placed my order for the 3GS 16GB. My estimated delivery is early next week, and I want to ship my current iPhone as soon as possible to the winning bidder.

I am planning to erase the phone to factory default settings, and remove the SIM, and package the phone up. Will there be any problems with shipping out the 3G before I can activate the 3GS? I'm OK with not having a phone for a few days, but I want the winning bidder to have a smooth transaction when they get the phone.

Are there any steps I am forgetting?

2. hcoteen2008 macrumors regular

Nope. Sounds like everything will be okay. Just make sure you give them the data cable and all of the accessories. Other then that you are good to go. OH! Just clean it with the cloth you got when you first purchased the phone. Make sure you select "Erase All Content and Settings"

3. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

You can also remote wipe it. (not necessary, just another option)

4. jeff_siler thread starter macrumors 6502

So the IMEI number will not be "held" on my account, if they try to activate it with AT&T? It's likely a non issue because i will probably receive and activate the 3GS before the 3G arrives at their doorstep, but I just want to double check first.

5. April Dancer macrumors regular

April Dancer

Sorry to hijack but sort of related, I just sold my 3G which has a perfectly good screen protector on. Would you remove it and clean it up or leave it in place in case he wants it left on? Or maybe just ask the guy who bought it, yeah I know... :rolleyes:

6. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Just leave it and let him know he can keep it or not. There's not much use for an already applied screen protector.

7. April Dancer macrumors regular

April Dancer

Oh God was my post that badly worded? :eek: I meant clean up the screen, I'm not tight enough to reapply a used screen protector! ;)

8. jeff_siler thread starter macrumors 6502

OK so i restored the phone, pulled the SIM and am now getting the following message: "no sim card installed insert a valid sim".

Is it now ready for shipping to the ebay buyer? They will need to provide their own SIM and activate it on the AT&T network. I hope that ebay buyers understand this and don't complain that the phones don't work without activating.

9. April Dancer macrumors regular

April Dancer

I'm just packing mine off to my buyer and it says the same thing. All he has to do is pop his sim in and he's away.