Selling iPhone 3G on ebay

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dmhgt2, Jul 21, 2008.

1. dmhgt2 macrumors newbie

So I've searched this entire forum trying to find the answer, but still no luck. I'm selling my iPhone 3G on ebay right now but don't know what I need to do to ensure that the buyer can use the phone on his/her account. I am staying with AT&T, so I am planning on switching out of the iPhone data plan when I get another phone. So I keep my SIM card, sell the phone on ebay, the buyer puts their SIM card in the iPhone and calls AT&T to switch to the iPhone data plan? Is it that simple?

2. stevin macrumors regular

sorry buddy.. i'm pretty sure you arent getting out of your data plan. have fun paying 30 bones a month for 2 years...

if you do manage to get out of it let us know.

to answer your question. if they have at&t they can use it by throwing their sim in. if they have any other gsm provider you need to unlock the phone.

3. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Not to hijack the thread but.....I am a Verizon customer and plan to purchase a 1st Gen iphone at some point. Should I switch to AT&T so I can get an AT&T Sim Card first and then add the data plan?

4. tritonj macrumors 6502a

well when you sign up for att you will get the sim don't need to do it ahead of time really. unless of course the 1st gen you are buying comes with a sim then you'll be okay

5. island macrumors 6502

island

It's that simple. I did that with 2 other lines I had that use regular phones.

I "upgraded" them to iPhone 3G at the store, came home and swapped the sims back into the original 2 candy-bar phones and called AT&T and they removed the data plan without a question on both lines.

I sold the 2 phones for a total of 1,950 which paid for my wifes 3G and mine plus gave us money left to throw around.

:cool:

6. dmhgt2 thread starter macrumors newbie

My question wasn't about switching out of the data plan when I get another phone...I already knew I could do that since I called AT&T and asked about that.

7. cliffrouse11bas macrumors regular

8. Senor360 macrumors regular

Senor360

Selling phone..

When I went to pick mine up, I'd mentioned to the 'greeters' at the front of the store how my wife would like one also, but none were available. I checked on ebay and some were selling unlocked for $1500. The guy greeter just got this look in his eye, and I swore I heard 'cha-ching' come from somewhere. :)

9. cliffrouse11bas macrumors regular

I just can not fathom why people can't wait a month instead of paying $1000.

10. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

That was a mistake, the contract has you on voice and data for 2 years. AT&T will put it back on for you... :eek:

11. WilliamC macrumors newbie

Actually the contract is for 2 years of service with AT&T. You are not bound to a specific voice plan or feature set. You can add and remove features at will. The data plan is considered a feature. He was required to get one with the Iphone, but since he won't have an IPhone he no longer needs to keep the data plan. AT&T would not add the data plan again as they are not authorized. If he used any data service on his new phone it would be charged as pay per use.

12. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

I don't know if this was the same for the original iPhone because you disn't have to sign a new contract, but when I sold my Gen1 iPhone I used an old phone until iPhone 3G and canceled my original iPhone EDGE data plan... just an added note to add in.

13. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

With the iPhone, they are authorized. The iPhone plans are different. They require the data plan.

If you have at&t, you have 30 days to cancel. If you "take off" the data plan, you have to return the phone, or they will charge you for not returning it. Since the iPhone is different, if you don't return the phone, they will assume you are keeping it, and place the iPhone plan back on your account.

14. snook911 macrumors 6502a

All of that sounds true but the OP said he would not have an iphone anymore so once he gets a new phone I think at&t will take off the data plan. What if you lose your iphone and then get another phone you can't tell me you would have to continue to pay for data you don't need.