Selling iPhone 3GS Remove Sim?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mom333, Sep 15, 2014.

1. mom333 macrumors regular

I'm selling my old iPhone 3GS to a complete stranger later today, so speedy responses are greatly appreciated!

I deleted everything off of it and then went back into it to be sure it erased everything. It did, except it's showing my son's phone number because he was the last one to use it. My son has the iPhone 5C now with a new Sim card (but that same phone number).

I did some research and it seems if I remove the SIM the phone is no good to the new buyer, not even as an iPod, correct? Can he easily get a new SIM? Do most people expect a SIM to be in an old used iPhone when they purchase it? What do most people do? I'm thinking I should remove it because I don't want a stranger having his phone number.

----------

Never mind...sorry.....I found this handy link! :)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1323409

2. Xeofreestyle macrumors newbie

Yah I would remove it. I think you need a SIM card to use the phone as a phone but your phone carrier provides it. So the person you are selling it too, will put their own SIM card in it and they would get that from their own carrier

Edit: one more thing. You might want to check out how iMessages work. I'm not sure if you have to disable it on your phone before taking out the sim card and giving it to the buyer. Don't want your sons iMessages going to the old phone haha. I gotta figure that out myself when I upgrade my phone and give my old one away

3. groovyf macrumors 6502

Definitely, turn off iMessage, iCloud before performing a factory reset.

4. mom333 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! I didn't know to do all that! I appreciate the replies!