Selling iPhone 4 Do I remove the Sim?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Paratel, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Paratel macrumors 6502

Paratel

Okay, before I get hammered about not reading previously posted threads, I have done some research on MR and have read mixed reviews about this question. Some threads say to remove the sim card before selling the iPhone and some say to just leaving it in. So does anyone out there have any more of an accurate answer?

2. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Yes, remove it. Your service is tied to the sim so you wouldn't want the new owner to have access to that.

3. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

You're fine wither way. As long as AT&T activates your new SIM your old one becomes useless. I sold my iPhone 4 a few weeks ago on ebay. As soon as I got paid I bought my new 4S, then shipped the old iPhone 4. Before I sent it I verified that the old SIM use deactiveated. It was. So I shipped it still in the iPhone 4.

4. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

if you leave it in it activates the phone with your old phone number. I would remove the sim then wipe the phone and let them provide their own sim to activate the phone.

5. In Like Flynn macrumors regular

The new owner will have absolutely no use for ur old sim as he/she will have to get a new sim activated with whichever gsm provider they choose.
    TAKE IT OUT :)

6. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

Why leave it in? It's completely useless to the person you are sending the phone to. If they activate the phone, the telecom company will give them a new sim card. There is absolutely no reason to include the sim when you sell the phone.

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Personally, I wouldn't--even if the old sim is deactivated. I crush it and put the remains in the recycling.
    It's easy for your buyer to get an inactive sim off ebay, if they need it for some reason. If they're out of country, tell them to get an at&t sim, so they can do the initial activation--assuming it's locked.

8. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

9. PaulyD macrumors 6502

10. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

leave it in if you want the other person to have access to your iMessgaes

11. nickn macrumors 6502

Take it out. As said above, iMessages are tied to the sim, and will continue going to the new owner of the phone. Also, do you still work at legal video services? How did the logo work out?

12. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

13. kimtyson macrumors member

+1
    No reason to leave in and several reasons to remove.

14. bob616 macrumors 6502

remove the sim and do a secure wipe of your phone.