Selling iPhone 4 on Ebay-- NEWBIE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcfootball77, Jun 25, 2010.

1. mcfootball77 macrumors newbie

I got an iPhone 4 yesterday (many hours in line) and have it posted on eBay for sale. Wanted to know:

1. How do I un-activate the iPhone after the folks at the Apple Store set it up on my ATT account?

2. How to I re-Activate my old ATT phone?

I'm new to this process; I have never had an iPhone, nor sold something like this on eBay, so these may be basic questions. Any advice you could give would be much appreciated? Also, is there anything else I should know?

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Why are you doing this?

3. woosah macrumors regular

woosah

Why would you wait in line for an iPhone4 only to turn around and sell it on Ebay?

4. detroit1 macrumors regular

i hate greedy ppl like you. just trying to rip ppl off. let me guess, you are advertising as factory unlocked too? :mad::mad::mad::mad:

5. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

6. chembox macrumors 6502a

Don't know if you should try that, the folks at Apple will make you sign a new contract and activate it in-store. The only reasonable way is to buy an unsubsidized phone for $599/$699.

7. MICMAC247 macrumors regular

MICMAC247

Take the sim card out then hit the front of the screen with a hammer.

8. mcfootball77 thread starter macrumors newbie

wow thanks for making a new member feel welcome.

I don't love the phone. I stood in line to get my wife the phone and thought I would pick one up for me as well-- after all of the waiting. Once I got it home I changed my mind. I would rather not return it if I can make a couple bucks on ebay.

9. BKNY macrumors member

Lol.. ok i will be helpful to you..

first you need to buy a micro sim adapter, so u could take that mini sim out of the iphone 4 place it in the iphone 3g or 3gs or any other phone u have.. it will work perfect

then u need to do a full restore without a backup. so your information will be delete it before u ship out the iphone

there u go ..

hope it helps

10. woosah macrumors regular

woosah

I don't see how this would be profitable?

iPhone4 16GB = $199 + tax if subsidized, if not, there's NO $$$ in it.
    AT&T ETF = $325
    Ebay take = ? Ebay is a cult.:D I've never sold anything. Maybe someone else can chime in on what Ebay charges sellers.
    Seller still has to pay for shipping/insurance?

16GB iPhone4's are going for about $600-$700 on ebay. Where's the profit?

11. mcfootball77 thread starter macrumors newbie

BKNY- Thank you so much for your helpful answer! I really appreciate it!

I am not planning on terminating my contract with ATT so I don't think I will have to pay at ETF. I know I am locked into another 2 years but I am okay with that. My old school phone is fine.

Thanks

12. irich25 macrumors regular

you still gotta keep the internet plan btw

13. mcfootball77 thread starter macrumors newbie

I called ATT and they said I just needed to keep the data for a month and then I could cancel it without any fees.

14. robby818 macrumors 6502a

You may be in for an unpleasant surprise. Get it in writing.

As someone else said, i don't think you are going to make any money by selling your subsidized iphone.

15. jp93 macrumors regular

eBay charges 9% on the final value of the item (the amount it sells for) THEN Paypal charges 2% (?) I think. Plus you have all of eBays listing fees and the other fees to worry about (ETF Etc).

IMO Not worth it. Sell it for $800 - about $75 from Final value - about $5 from listings - about $16 from Paypal - $325 ETF= $379

This is considering that you bought a 16 GB FULLY subsidized phone. I mean, its a pretty penny but it doesnt seem worth the hassle to me. Plus you need to worry about buyers who don't pay, scams etc...

Be VERY careful selling on eBay

16. mcfootball77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks-- I will see if I can get that in writing. I think as long as I can sell it for $300 or more I should be fine. It seems like they all sell above that.

around $250- phone, tax and upgrade fee
    15-month of data
    10- sim card adapter

17. mcfootball77 thread starter macrumors newbie

I see what you are saying but why would have I have to pay an ETF if I am staying with att at my same number?

18. jp93 macrumors regular

I didnt see that, you wouldnt have to pay an etf if that is the case. Still, be very cautious about who you are dealing with. Document everything, keep the shipping receipts, I wouldnt ship overseas and dont ship to unverified addresses.

Take pictures of the phone, maybe even a video of you placing the phone in the box for shipment and handing it to the post office workers. I would be very careful, if someone does open a dispute against you on Paypal, having this evidence will help to swing Paypal in your favor. If you dont document everything, and keep all receipts etc, if a scam occurs, you could be out a brand new phone.

Best of luck

19. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Waited hours in line = loss of money/productivity

Bought iPhone 4 = ~$230

Data = $15

Sim thingy = $10

Total price = $255 + productivity loss (minimum wage even @ $7.25 and say 5 hours in line) + $36.25 = $291.25

Sell it on eBay for $300 plus eBay fees... most likely lose a couple $10s of dollars.

Plus shipping...

Moral of the story: You're an idiot. The end.

20. KingHuds macrumors 6502

You don't have to pay the ETF, and you can cancel the $15 data after the first month, for some reason people are really stupid when it comes to these things. As far as the SIM card.. you don't need to buy an adapter, you can just go swap it at an ATT store with a regular sim for free.

21. mcfootball77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks JP93. All good tips!

A friend just sold her old Ipod on e-bay and the person paid with paypal. My friend withdrew the money from paypal and sent the shipment right away. After she sent it off it person canceled their transaction with paypal. Paypal said my friend should have waited 24 hours to make sure the person doesn't cancel their transaction and paypal made her pay them back. She was out $50 and an Ipod!

22. mcfootball77 thread starter macrumors newbie

renewed-- you have it about wrong. Loss of productivity was about 4 hours at around $150 an hour which is $400 -- but the look on my wife's face when she knew I stood in line for her all that time was priceless. I hope everyone has someone in their life they are willing to do anything for. My goal was accomplished-- to get my girl an iphone on the first day. I think I will end up just taking my phone back.

renewed- I hope you find some happiness or something in your life that prevents you from coming onto a computer so you can hid behind your screen and call people you don't know idiots. Way to live your life brother!

23. mcfootball77 thread starter macrumors newbie

24. DineshD macrumors member

Welcome to MacRumors.

25. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

As a newbie, I would say if you don't want it, you should return it.

You are in over your head and bound to needlessly end up losing money on this whole deal.

It is clear you don't have a full grasp of all the parts involved, so seriously, and in all consideration, if you don't want the phone simply return it.