Selling iPhone 4 on Ebay???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheStormEvans, Jun 29, 2010.

1. TheStormEvans macrumors newbie

I recently upgraded to a 32gb iPhone 4 and I am wanting to sell it on Ebay.

How can I cancel my iPhone data plan and switch the phone back to my Blackberry, so I can sell the iPhone 4?

Is there a way without waiting 30 days and returning the iPhone, because I really need to use my Blackberry and to cancel the iPhone plan?

Help???

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

why don't u call at&t and ask them?

3. TheStormEvans thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the lady there (when i bought it) said if I wanted to cancel it, i would have to bring back the phone, which i dont want to do since I want to sell it on Ebay!

4. VTMac macrumors 6502

If you think you're going to find a "loophole" and make money on this deal -- you won't. You're going to pay an ETF. I'd take the phone back within the return window.

5. UnseenLlama macrumors 6502a

UnseenLlama

You should have planned ahead before buying. :cool:

6. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

the OP is just fishing around for the answer he wants to hear. Don't worry, you'll find a 'yes' man eventually.

7. ducktales macrumors regular

[​IMG]

8. TheStormEvans thread starter macrumors newbie

People in line were 100% sure you could go back and cancel the line. I think maybe AT&T is full of crap when they say you cant cancel the line or you have to return the iPhone!

9. kalex macrumors 65816

Well then why don't u listen to people in line and go cancel it. see what happens :)

10. cx300 macrumors member

You can't cancel and release your 2 year contract but you CAN call AT&T and switch the IMEIs.

Tell them the new IMEI on the BB, switch the data to a BB plan and you will be good to go. Don't listen to people that don't know what they are talking about.

You will keep the renewed contract, but you have no liability to keep the iPhone.

Same as if I were to break my iPhone 1 year from now, I would still have a 1 year contract but I am free to replace the device with my old Nexus One...

11. TheStormEvans thread starter macrumors newbie

AT&T lady at the store when I bought it said if I cancel, I would have to bring back the phone. Is that even right?

All I want to do is cancel the iPhone line, keep the iPhone to sell on eBay, and return my Blackberry to my line (where the iPhone was), and use that for my phone :)

12. TheStormEvans thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you go into more detail about the process and what "IMEI" and "BB"?

13. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

Could you just swipe out the sim card from the iPhone and put it in your Blackberry? You might have to get a micro-sim plastic thing to make it fit though.

Not sure if the iPhone sim would work in the blackberry though, but it might. And then you could simply continue paying as if you still had the iphone and I don't think ATT would know or care.

14. TheStormEvans thread starter macrumors newbie

What kind of "holder" would it need?

And also if I was to sell it on eBay, would I include the sim card???

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes that's right. You either have to return the phone if you cancel the contract within 30 days or pay an Early Termination Fee of 325 dollars after 30 days but you get to keep your phone then.

If you're looking to make a fast buck, the only way that works, is you keep your contract and switch the sim to another phone, then you can sell the iPhone for a profit. AT&T upped the ETF this year to specifically halt people like you from doing this. That is after paying for the phone and the ETF, you'll actually lose money not make it.

16. red0n macrumors member

Yes.

17. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Just sell the phone on eBay.

Don't sell the SIM. It's already been activated for use on your line.

If you want to go back to your old BB, and need a regular size SIM, just go to AT&T, tell them whatever you want about your iPhone (tell'em you sold it, they don't care), and then buy yourself a new SIM for the BB.

They cost around 35 bucks, methinks.

Easy-peasy, lemon squeezy.

Another thing? When you want to make a quick buck off a tech gadget, RESEARCH the process before you run out and buy one.

Geez.

:rolleyes:

18. cx300 macrumors member

What they said.

BB = BlackBerry
    IMEI = Phone Identifier Number

19. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

This is assuming that you just have the one phone line with AT&T and you aren't wanting to cancel the line (think of "the line" as "the phone number").

If you have 2 lines of service now, yes, you will have to give the iPhone back if you cancel.

I am, however, thinking you just did an early upgrade of the line that had the BB on it, and now you wanna do the old shuck and jive and sell your iPhone for a quick few hundred.

Which, again, you are the very sort that I've been irritated with since this launch. Dozens of people on here wanted to get a phone on launch day, but the preorder servers were full of schemers trying to figure out how to capitalize on the launch.

Here's an idea... invent something.

Sell your own invention for profit.

Sorry, but this sorta thing being asked ad nauseum is really annoying.

I don't mind explaining to people who upgraded and want to sell their old 3G/3GS or what have you. I mean, they used the phone, now they're wanting to sell to someone who could use it without a contract.

But, diving into the launch day fray just to upgrade to something you had NO intention of keeping, just intended to sell for really? Not that great a profit?

Why?

(that was rhetorical... don't bother answering)

Just do what I said up there above this post. I used to work for AT&T, and I know how to switch phones while keeping the same plan. It's really very simple stuff.

20. quarmace macrumors newbie

Here's a question - if the OP does keep his new 2yr contract line, and wants to cancel his data plan on the line and use a dumbphone (call ATT, swap IMEI's, etc), how soon after purchasing an i4 could he do this?

Would he have to wait 30 days, or could he do it immediately after purchasing?

All hypothetical, of course :)