Selling iPhone 4 - Remove SIM?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jinx1181, Jul 26, 2010.

1. jinx1181 macrumors newbie

Just picked up a new sealed phone from upgrading one of the lines on my account. Thinking about selling it but was wondering if should open the box and remove the SIM card prior to sending it out, as it may be tied to the line that was upgraded. Anyone know if its ok just to send it with the SIM as the buyer would prefer it to be sealed.

2. MicroApple macrumors regular

Interesting, you do have to activate that SIM with your account info so it is not like the other person will be using your line, but I'm not sure if the SIM is attached to the line persay or if it is an empty shell that will take any line that it upgrades. I do remember when activating mine my phone number showed up automatically in iTunes so there is some connection I guess.

3. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Yes remove it. Never ever sell a phone with a SIM in it.

4. MicroApple macrumors regular

But its not even activated right? And to activate it you need account details correct? Plus a SSN number.

5. jinx1181 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. However, having gone through the process of activating an upgraded phone already, I recall that once you plug it into itunes it shows the phone number of the upgraded line and says it needs to match this number.

6. edk99 macrumors 6502a

All iphone 4's in the US on ATT are tied to an account when shipped and are just waiting activation by plugging it into itunes. If you are going to sell it remove the SIM because the person who buys it when they plug it into itunes will be activating it on your upgrade line if they use the SIM in the phone.

7. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

This! Never leave a SIM in. They are free to get if the buyer doesn't have one already!