Selling iPhone 4 - SIM question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by viper1613, Jul 14, 2010.

1. viper1613 macrumors newbie

So I have 2 lines on my att account that are eligible for upgrade. I used one of the upgrades to purchase my iphone 4 and have activated it. I am looking to purchase a 2nd iphone to sell, and am wondering if I get the iPhone and don't activate it (leave it sealed in the box), will I be affected in anyway when the purchaser activates it?

My concern is that when i provide the second phone number that is eligible for upgrade to the Apple store, is this number tied in anyway to the phone if the phone is not activated? I want to make sure that my current SIM will not be deactivated when someone else opens the package and connects the unopened phone for the first time.

I hope I am clear with my question, thanks for your input!

2. tritonj macrumors 6502a

yes the phones are tied to you when you purchase. you'd have to take the sim out. once the new phone is activated your old one will no longer have service since it thinks you just activated a new phone. so keep your sim card

3. viper1613 thread starter macrumors newbie

so your advice would be to open the package, remove the micro-sim card, and basically destroy it (the current sim is in my moms old basic phone) and require that the buyer get a micro-sim from att store?