Selling iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by swissbrit, Jun 19, 2010.

1. swissbrit macrumors member

Okay so basically I have an iPhone 4 preordered from AT&T and I travel to Switzerland and the UK alot and I will be in the UK on the 2nd of July and again on the 27th of July. My problem is that I would like the iPhone unlocked. Do you guys think I could sell my preordered iPhone 4 16 GB from AT&T on ebay for 750-850 and then when I arrive in UK just pick one up at the apple store unlocked ? So when I go to UK I could use my O2 simcard and in US my AT&T simcard.

What do you guys think ?

2. chrisperra macrumors member

chrisperra

It's a feasible option. But if something goes wrong with the UK phone, the warranty is only valid in the UK, not the US.

3. swissbrit thread starter macrumors member

I have family in the UK so I can just send it over. But my worry is that I won't be able to pick one up at the Apple Store in the UK( they will probably be out of stock).

4. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

Sounds like your trying to capitalize on a very short supply of product. However, being as you travel between US/UK/Switzerland a few extra hundred bucks isn't what you're looking for.
    Heres an idea, do something nice. Call wherever you reserved it from and say Hey, I reconsidered, cancel it. Then someone else gets it. OR, pick it up, and sell it, for what you paid for it. Make someones day. Regardless, it sounds like your going to buy an unlocked model anyway, so you're going to spend the $199-299 regardless. How bout we all come up with an idea that doesnt involve someone else having to pay more?

5. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

then have your family buy you one now!

6. swissbrit thread starter macrumors member

@DMB- I don't want to spend 750 on the iPhone straight up, I'd prefer selling my iPhone 4 and then re buying one, I know selling it at 750 may seem pricey but they are in short supply so idk and that will cover the cost of the unlocked one.

@chargit- I'm not sure if I want to do that, I'd prefer buying it myself lol.

7. coasterswim macrumors 6502

Apple is selling the phone at a profit, why can't this guy?

8. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

Because it makes him a scalper.

9. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I have a friend who plans to buy one and Ebay it for $1100 (he tends to know what he's doing with this kinda stuff). The next shipment comes in on July 14th and I guess some people who make 6-digit salaries beginning with 2's,3's, and 4's can afford to be impatient. :eek:

In all honesty, some people are just stupid (or stupidly rich). 3 weeks of (not) waiting is worth $900 for some people.

10. swissbrit thread starter macrumors member

I'm kinda scared to sell my iPhone 4 before I would buy the unlocked one because this could happen.
    I sell it in the US for $900, I then go back to the UK and pop into the apple store on July 3rd to buy an unlocked iPhone, they tell me there wont be any other until July/August tatdat and I won't be able to buy one. So I really hope that that won't happen. But anyways, do you guys think that apple stores in the UK will have some unlocked iPhones on July 3rd ?

11. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

im totally against the reselling of iphones cause it makes the launch worse for the rest of us. I was ready to rip this guy when I read the title but after reading what hes trying to do i dont think its too bad. Hes just trying to get the unlocked model but still getting a subsidy. I hate that the phone is locked so I dont blame him. goodluck op.

Now if your buying 3-4 iphones and selling them all for $1000 each then I hope you get blacklisted by apple.

12. swissbrit thread starter macrumors member

Thanks but nah I really just want the unlocked model and I don't mind using AT&T while im in the US but when I'm in Europe, using AT&T will cost me a fortune. And I've already emailed O2 and Orange to see if they could unlock it for me for a fee but they would be reluctant to do so if it comes from AT&T.

13. twitchtwice macrumors member

it seems like this would end up being too much work in the end

14. labman macrumors 604

labman

step 1 sell you phone I agree with the others about scalping. However if somebody is willing to pay and doesn't want to wait. then it's on them.

step 2 take the money to the UK or have your family order for you.

step 3 get the unlocked phone. if you can't get while you are there. Give money to your family. they get it when they can and send the phone to you.

Sometimes you just have to wait abet. having a factory unlocked phone is way to go if you can.

15. swissbrit thread starter macrumors member

Thanks labman I will probably do that. Do you guys think craigslist or ebay would be better for selling an iPhone ?

16. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

Keep in mind that iPhone warranty is region-specific and not worldwide like Apple computers. Also, Apple will be selling unlocked iPhones in Canada, it may be a cheaper option.

17. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

Apple has the phone manufactured, then they sell it, to AT&T, Best Buy, you whoever. That's a retail sale. Apple is a business, and thats what businesses do. No biggie. However, I'm so against the rip off and holding something above everybody on launch day. If he bought, and some rich dude said he'll pay $700 for it, cool. All I'm saying is the guy wants an unlocked phone, he wants it sooner than he can get it, but he's getting a subsidized phone for now. His plan seems that he was always going to buy the cheaper, sell it for more, to buy what he wants. And if someone pays it, whatever. But where will that lead, what if that guy has to sell it for whatever reason. Now he's guaranteed to take a loss. Flat out. It wont cost him anything to be nice.