*** Selling iPhone 4S 16gb White On Craiglist - Please Help/Need Advice ***

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JohnMKeynes, Oct 17, 2011.

1. JohnMKeynes macrumors member

Finally posted up my ad on craiglist to sell my iPhone 4S 16gb White. Most of the buyers seemed to be professional buyers who intend on shipping them to another country. For some reason I feel more comfortable selling it someone who plans on using the phone since I'm not really aware on how buying my iPhone $650 can be really profitable to them.

So can someone aware me on how these buyers are making a profit? Also how does one get around making sure the money is not counterfeit? Would it be too much to ask the person to pull out the money out of a bank or ATM?

2. MrSunshine macrumors newbie

Chances are this is a scam

You can purchase a counterfeit-detector pen IF you really wanted for about 15 USD. You can also stick with the ol' hold-the-bill-against-a-light-to-see-a-dead-president's-face method.

And yes, it would be too much to ask. If I were going to buy something off Craigslist and the seller wanted to meet me up at an ATM so that I could take out money, I wouldn't buy from that seller. He might rob me.

The only tip I can give you when selling/buying from CL is to use COMMON SENSE.

Good luck!

MrSunshine

3. Joell macrumors member

it's likely they will be shipping/selling it to countries where the iphone 4S is not yet available, giving them the opportunity to increase the sales price to as high as $1100+
    this is how most of the sellers are making profits on ebay right now

4. Jay0911 macrumors newbie

Most replies on craigslist asking you to ship to another country are scams. I would not trust it at all.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Haha, no profits there. It's a scam they are after.

6. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

did you even read the OP? the buyers aren't asking him to ship to another country. The buyers themselves are doing that.

the 4S has only been released in a few countries so far, so those in China (remember the iPad 2 insanity?) are willing to pay upwards of $2,000 for one. All these people are doing is buying iPhones from guys of CL in the US and turning around and selling them to chinese buyers for huge profit. Smart.

7. outphase macrumors 65816

Well, you're definitely not going to be given cash if they want you to ship it elsewhere.

8. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

read the OP. nowhere does he say buyers are asking him to ship.

9. MrSunshine macrumors newbie

Technically, you're right.

However, most scams are conducted in this manner. The "buyer" is an uncle in the US who has a niece that's in Africa doing missionary work. He will make payments via PayPal in the amount of the asking price + shipping cost + a little extra for the trouble of not selling it locally.

People feel safer knowing that they will receive money from someone in the US than someone in Africa. It's also easier to find someone to hack in the US that has a PayPal account than finding someone in Africa with a PayPal account.

Just sayin'.

10. JohnMKeynes thread starter macrumors member

This is what I'm thinking. But there has been multiple professional buyers and most seem legit on the phone. So I guess I'll go ahead and buy a counterfeit pen. I'll update to later on tonight.

----------

All of them are offering cash.

11. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

No my god. for chrissakes, go back and read the OP.

nowhere does he mention SHIPPING to prospective buyers or dealings with someone's African cousin. these are local buyers offering cash, and the OP is asking how he can be sure the cash is legit, not counterfeit.