selling iphone 4s for iphone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dubs83, Dec 31, 2011.

  1. dubs83 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2011
    #1
    I'm contemplating on whether getting the iphone 4S 32gb or waiting for the iphone 5. My question is, mint condition iphone 4S's (verizon) on ebay go for around $600 today. I know they will come down in value over time, but if I were to sell my mint condition iphone 4S on ebay in say the summer or fall before the iphone 5 release, don't you think I could still get around $400 for it, and then use that cash to go towards an iphone 5 (which would have to be purchased at full price because my contract isn't up)? Full price is around $700 for an iphone (approx) right, so I would be paying about $300 (which would be similar in price to what I would be paying anyways for a iphone 5 if my contract were up.

    These are all guesses of course on prices, but am curious how you guys think I should play this. I keep my phones in mint condition, and am ultimately curious as to how much you guys think I could sell an iphone 4S 32gb in say summer or fall and then approx. what it would cost to buy an iphone 5 at full price....


    and yes, I know I could keep my current verizon voyager phone and just wait but since I really want an iphone 5 when they come out, curious how I should play this.

    thanks for any tips!
     
  2. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2011
    #2
    Do it. It's worth it even if you can't recoup the entire cost. Voyagers suck (had one). 4S is awesome. I just got one on one of our lines and using it as my phone. Another one of our lines is eligible right now and I'm gonna sit on it till the 5 (or next iteration) comes out.
     
  3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

    Apple OC

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2010
    Location:
    Hogtown
    #3
    you are complicating things too much ... get the iPhone now

    worry about the iPhone 5 when it comes out :cool:
     
  4. iFactoryUnlock macrumors newbie

    iFactoryUnlock

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2012
    Location:
    NY, NY
    #4
    Took the words from my mouth....Ditto.
     
  5. jtinch macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2011
    #5
    I was considering this also, I have an upgrade in May. But do you think it would be worth it to get the Best Buy buy back program and guarantee $350 on it or take a chance on eBay when the next gen iPhone comes out. P.S. I'm on a Droid X with terrible battery life I need an iPhone now
     
  6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

    bandofbrothers

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2007
    Location:
    Uk
    #6
    If you have the disposable income then go for the 4s.

    Ive not upgraded to the 4s because my 4 covers all my current needs.

    Like others I'm awaiting eagerly for the next iPhone. :D
     
  7. jtinch macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2011
    #7
    As it turns out, I bought a 4S on contract. I'm actually waiting right now for the UPS truck to deliver it. I plan on selling it when the next one comes out, if it grabs my attention enough. Thanks for all of your replies.
     

Share This Page