Selling iphone 6 on craigslist

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gabo864, Jan 1, 2015.

1. gabo864 macrumors 6502a

gabo864

Hey everyone

I need some advice from all of you who have ever sold something on craigslist. I'm selling an iPhone 6 on craigslist and I'm trying to be as careful as I can. We are meeting at the court food in the mall, I asked for cash, large bills that way its not too difficult to count and I also purchased a counterfeit pen to make sure bills are not fake.

The person who wants to buy my phone seems very honest so far and he seems to want to take some precautions as well which is understandable. He said he would like to call VRZ before he leaves and make sure my phone has a clean IMEI which I think its alright. Now, he does want us to sign a document which we will each get a copy. This is what he wants me to sign.

"Bill of Sale

This Bill of Sale is made on this 2nd day of January of 2015 between XXXXX (“Buyer”) and _____________ (“Seller”).

Seller, in exchange for consideration of $XXX, the receipt of which funds is acknowledged, hereby do grant, sell, transfer to Buyer the following good: Verizon iPhone 6 64GB Space Gray. The following accecssories are also included in the sale: USB charger, earbuds, cases (2), and a Zagg tempered glass screen shield (already installed).

Buyer shall have full rights and title to the goods described above.

Seller is the lawful owner of the goods and the goods are free from all encumbrances. Seller has good right to sell the goods and will warrant and defend the right against the lawful claims and demands of all persons."

Do you think that's alright? I have never had to sign anything for someone buying a product from me. DO you guys have any other tips for me?. Thanks.

2. leopardhead2021 macrumors 6502

I would also include the serial number etc in that bill of sale. Also, why not just meet at a verizon store and check phone clean status?

3. Wiggle macrumors member

4. gabo864 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gabo864

Ok, what else can I do to cover my bases????

5. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

just meet at a Verizon store. once your transaction is done, have him sign on the paper with a note saying that He Got The Phone without issues and that everything is OK.

6. Sosab123 macrumors member

Why not just meet at a Verizon store? I sell things on Craigslist on the regula and I've never had much hassle other than the typical annoyance of the ppl who agree to your price and usualy haggle you in person. Which is aggravating.

7. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Wow. A bill of sale? I mean, it's not a terrible idea. But unless you're getting the person's ID and everything I wouldn't even bother with it.

I would just meet at the carrier store. My biggest concern when I am selling is the guy just running wth the device. It's easonable for a buyer to want to inspect an ohone before buying it. While I do consider myself a decent runner there are people that could outrun me. More witnesses and all that at a carrier store especially when you tell the person who inevitably comes to ask how they can help that you're selling a phone.

I view all of that as more important, personally, than a bill of sale. That isn't me saying don't do one. I'm just not sure it would really be all that helpful.

----------

Wow. A bill of sale? I mean, it's not a terrible idea. But unless you're getting the person's ID and everything I wouldn't even bother with it.

I would just meet at the carrier store. My biggest concern when I am selling is the guy just running wth the device. It's easonable for a buyer to want to inspect an ohone before buying it. While I do consider myself a decent runner there are people that could outrun me. More witnesses and all that at a carrier store especially when you tell the person who inevitably comes to ask how they can help that you're selling a phone.

I view all of that as more important, personally, than a bill of sale. That isn't me saying don't do one. I'm just not sure it would really be all that helpful.

Edit: misread. The buyer wants you to sign. I see no reason not to. Make sure the IMEI is on there. It's really the only way to identify what you actually sold to him. Otherwise, should anythi go to court, it's still largely a matter of he said she said.

9. 617aircav Suspended

Meet at the Verizon store. Simple. No need of bill of sale. Once the sale is done you should be off the hook for anything. I sell a lot on CL and allow buyers to examine items as they wish. After the sale I have no obligations to the buyers.

----------

This is why I only meet at the bank close to my house.

10. jwlbel macrumors regular

I have sold all my old iphones on CL. I either met the buyer at the carrier or Apple Store. The last phones I sold, I met the buyer in the lobby of my bank. I figure there are a lot of cameras and sometimes a security guard at the door. Plus I deposited the money at the same time and that way I can make sure the money is not counterfeit.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I don't understand bill of sale in CL. If it was stolen and becomes blacklisted at a future date, it doesn't matter what the seller who's not the actual owner of the phone signs on the bill of sale.

12. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

13. bushman4 macrumors 68000

If the phone is legit then don't worr about it. If you bought it from someone or obtained the phone from other than a carrier or Apple then youi might have a problem if it's stolen

14. 617aircav Suspended

Ignore bill of sale. I would never provide one. Tell the buyer to take it or leave it.

15. Paco II macrumors 65816

The buyer probably wants some piece of documentation to cover themselves should the phone turn out to be stolen. Why so harsh on the buyer?

OP - if you do use a bill of sell, make sure you get a scan/picture of *their* copy.

16. Juarez7514 macrumors member

17. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Really. Do you actually think Verizon wants you selling your phone in their store? They are in the Phone business.

18. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Selling phones is only part of their business. They also sell phone service and those people involved in the transaction appear to be using Verizon.

19. 617aircav Suspended

This is a strange comment, who are they hurting?

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You can't really get in trouble if you unknowingly bought a stolen phone. Keeping a stolen property once you find out it's stolen is entirely another matter. However, the bill of sale won't help you keep a stolen property, nor reverse the blacklist so you can keep using it, so I question the value of it.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    The only help that would be is if its stolen then the police wont go after you but the person who sold it to you.
    Besides that it wont do anything if it turns up stolen or blacklisted. You'd be left holding a useless phone and useless piece of paper.

22. gabo864 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gabo864

Hey guys

just to update you all, I did meet the guy and sold him my phone. He was pretty cool, he checked the phone made sure it was working and then called Verizon to make sure it was not blacklisted. I sold it a week ago so everything went well. I'm glad we met at the mall.