Selling iPhone, does anyone have a guide to completely wipe it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jTreu, Sep 8, 2009.

1. jTreu macrumors 6502

I remember reading about mail and other sensitive data not always being completely removed and want to make sure that none of my personal data is left on it. thanks.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Settings>>General>>reset>>erase all content and settings

3. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

does this wipe your jailbreak?

or just personal data? apps?

4. thelordnyax macrumors regular

5. philgilder macrumors 68000

iphone.aggie's solution is the most secure

an itunes restore is similar to a reformatting of a HDD, it may appear to be wiped, but all the data is still accessible, very easily if you know how (by using data recovery software)

the erase all content and settings will erase all the data, and then pass over it with 1s and 0s to make sure no data is recoverable

and jailbreaks/unlocks etc remain after as they modify the system

6. rajkoshal macrumors newbie

I've also got an original Iphone I want to sell but am worried that the new user may be able use my itunes account from the content on my iphone.

Does the "erase all contents and settings" prevent this from happening or do I need to do something further.
    Any help appreciated!
    Thanks

7. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Yes. It takes roughly two hours to do the erase. It is secure and it really does wipe your phone. I did this to my iPhone 3G before selling it.

8. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Agreed, the "Erase all" works very well and it is secure. Takes a very long time to run though if you have an iphone with a large hard drive as it writes over your entire hard drive with 1s and 0s. About 2 hours for the 16GB if I remember correctly (and as someone else said). :cool:

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I would manually delete the contents of your User>Library>Preferences folder and also your emails and Texts.

10. iphone3DG3 macrumors member

Would "Erase All Content and Settings" be less reliable just because our phones are jailbroken? I'm just curious in whether or not a modified OS affects the reliability of that data-wiping function. Thanks =D