Selling iPhone early. Wish me luck!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WRXiceman, Sep 4, 2016.

1. WRXiceman macrumors 6502

WRXiceman

Hi all,

So this year I have decided to sell my iPhone prematurely.

Every year I purchase the new iPhone, and then sell my current one, potentially losing out on around 15% of the worth.

This time though, my girlfriend has a spare iPhone 4S, so I have now set it up for myself and will be selling my 6S in the coming days.

The 4S will suffice, but, the screen is tiny, the battery is awful, it's so so so slow, it struggles with the basics.

I am only doing this so I gain maximum value for my 6S, and also I think it will make me appreciate the 7 even more so once it arrives.

I am truly not looking forward to using this for the next couple weeks (first world problems).

Wish me luck!

PS Anyone else in the same boat?
    Let's struggle together :)

2. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

good luck, I'm looking forward to buying a nicely discounted 6S in a few weeks (thought the 5S is still going strong even with me dropping it 10 times a week).

3. Koobs macrumors regular

Koobs

I'm going to keep my 6+ as a backup to my new black iPhone 7+

Can't wait til Wednesday.

4. bufffilm, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

My sister was all set to buy my niece a 6s 64gb (she currently uses a 4 w/16gb) as she is headed back to school soon, but will hold off until after the annoucement when I told her of the expected price drop.

Wouldn't surprise me if more 6s/+ sales happen after the annoucement.

Ip7 with no jack (and at regular price) isn't a very compelling upgrade (compared to 6s) even w/the bonus storage.

5. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Good luck.

If you really want to appreciate your new model 7 after you purchase one, consider donating your existing phone to a good cause. I have found that I enjoy a higher level of satisfaction knowing someone in great need (perhaps even saving their lives) is utilizing my phone vs trying to maximize gain through selling it.

6. MaxBga macrumors regular

MaxBga

Good luck lol. The good thing is that it's truely going to feel like a huge upgrade!

7. sunapple macrumors 65816

sunapple

I always upgrade like this with iPhones, I even sold my MacBook Pro back in June before WWDC (not sure if it was June, seems very long ago), although the new ones are still not there yet... No new iPhone for me this year, don't need it.

I sold my iPhone 5 in the summer before the 6 and got a temporary 4S. Wouldn't choose that model this time though, too old!
    --- Post Merged, Sep 4, 2016 ---
    Sure, great I you can spare ~500$. Good for you, but I would need that money to be able to upgrade. There're other ways to contribute too charity.

8. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

I don't really think the 6S will depreciate very much after the 7 launch. There are a lot of people who still want a headphone jack. Don't torture yourself with a 4. You might even have to wait longer if the 7 is in short supply.

9. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Good luck. ;)

I won't do anything with my iPhone 6 Plus until I've viewed the Apple Keynote then had hands on experience at the Apple Store and then viewed YouTube unboxings and real user reviews.

I'm a patient guy. :)

10. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

Kinda ... I sold my iPhone 6s 16GB last week for $560. Found an SE on swappa for $300 brand new unlocked. Bought that, I'm sure I could resell it for $280-290 easily. I'm enjoying this phone very much I must say. I bought an SE earlier this year and went back to 6s. Been going to back and forth it seems like lol.

Can't wait for 7 ! I always get the new toy every year.

11. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I am not sure why someone wanting a second hand device would pay 15% more today, rather than wait a few more weeks and snag the discount? It's not like they are waiting on the latest & greatest phone anyway...

12. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

Yeah but you can always find someone in a pinch that needs a phone now. If someone broke their old phone. Needs a new phone. And doesn't want to sign a contract. They may have no choice but by a new phone from craigslist, or ebay etc now. So they may not be able to wait till the price goes down on the 6/6s.

13. KrisLord macrumors 65816

It's basic supply and demand. More people sell them after the new one is delivered, pushing down prices vs people selling prior to launch.

Also most people don't follow release cycles, so if looking on Apple.com at a 6S for retail pricing, today they see the full price, in 2 weeks they see the reduced price. Which lowers what people are wiling to spend.

For the above reasons I've sold my Apple Watch Sport this week, and will buy the AW2.

14. Rangers94 macrumors regular

Rangers94

Good luck! I'm in the Verizon trade in program or whatever it's called. So I'll just be trading in for new iPhone every year. I know it's not the most cost effective but hey I can do it and I like the latest and greatest.

15. H2K03 macrumors member

Yea I just sold my Apple Watch Sport last week for $280 haha.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I used to do this years ago when return was better. I don't know where you're only losing 15% of the msrp (unless I misunderstood you) but I haven't seen that for ages.

Also, off topic, but I just hate the "first world problems" thing. Damn near every gripe any of us in this forums has had had been a first world problem. That's just the way it is. I don't know why we have this internet phenomenon of making people feel bad for airing a grievance. I know you mentioned it not to cause an issue but rather to avoid one, but my point is you shouldn't have to. Anyway, end rant lol.

17. Christian 5G macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

I think I'll actually be getting a 5se from 6s :) unless they announce 6se.

18. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

I'll wait and sell my 6s+ until after I receive my 7. I've always sold after the newest phone launches and gotten the price I want. I always price them fair and not trying to make some huge profit.

I think the 6s will still be a phone people will want, I am not worried about selling it!

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think people have already started doing this, and so your selling is not premature, and I believe pricing is already going down

20. noobinator macrumors 601

I don't think it will decline 15% and it has already started to decline so close to announcement day. If you really want to save a few bucks do it at least a month before they announce it next time.

To me it's worth losing a few dollars to not have to use a crappy device for a few weeks. It's really painful to go back to something from years ago when you have been using the latest and greatest.