Selling iPhone (EDGE/2G) without getting ripped

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Michael CM1, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I did a quick search for this issue and couldn't find much since "sell" revolves around everything here.

I want to sell my first-gen phone and get as much out of it as I can. It's got some nicks on the side and back, but nothing that makes it unfunctional. There is the tiniest scratch on the screen, but it's almost always hidden by the time at the top. Everything else is good (well, the dock has issues) and it seems to run pretty well.

We can put free classifieds in my newspaper, but I'm figuring that's not where most people who shell out tons of money for these will look. I know there's an unlocking crowd that still pays $250 or so after checking eBay prices. Craigslist has the same thing. But I have never sold through either of them -- just bought off eBay.

So I'm just looking for general advice, probably the same as others. Should I unlock/jailbreak it before selling? Which site is better? What is the safest method of not selling it to a Nigerian prince? Any advice would be great. I'd love to sell it for about $100 to someone I know, but it's hard to not say "dude, go buy the 3G for $100 and get yourself a better phone."

2. AsianChexMix macrumors regular

If Craigslist, meet in local place. If eBay, make sure there are feedback rules (no one under -1 or so) can purchase. Jailbreak/unlock definitely raise the price so definitely do that.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Judging by this statement it appears you don't understand...the market...for the phone.

All iPhones in decent condition, first gen, 3g, unlocked, BROKEN, will still go for a pretty penny because they can still run everything up to 3.0.

Your friend, essentially, cannot go and get the 3g 8g for a mere 100 dollars. Thats the subsidized price. Unsibsidized, i believe is around the neighborhood of 300-400 dollars (with the 3gs's being higher). i'm selling my MINT condition 1st gen phone for 250 , unlocked. He/she would need to sign up for the two year contract to get the 100 dollar price.

Avoid ebay unless you are experienced.

Craigslist may be your best bet, always meet in public places, cash. Don't ship or accept checks or anything else.

4. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

Thanks to you both. I figured craigslist was best because it looks to be more locally oriented. I know the unlockability was the key allure of this phone. I just didn't know if there was some upside to leaving it locked.

I have never sold on eBay, so I'll start by not trying. I've been burned for more than $250 by people I had known for years, so I'm not too gullible -- now. Cash only, cash only. Can't wait until it's some 13-year-old with his mom at the mall. That would be weird.

5. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

You'd probably get more if you try the eBay route.
    Just look at current auctions and copy them.
    I'm selling my 16GB 3G, and the least I've seen one go for on eBay in the last few days is $400.

6. snake101st macrumors regular

7. AsianChexMix macrumors regular

I just saw an iPhone 2G 8GB unlocked/jailbroken with a cracked screen sell for $192 itself! Looks good for my iPhone with all accessories. :D

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

The problem with eBay is that its just become too much of a hassle, especially for a product like this.

-Nigerian Bidders
    -Overseas Bidders
    -Paypal organized crime
    (Paypal will, at their discretion, hold your funds for thirty days until the buyer gives you positive feedback or your tracking number indicates a "delivered" status)
    -Chargebacks
    -Ebay Fees