Selling iphone, I wanna make sure I'm doing it the right way.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rooftop voter, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

I'm going to restore my 3gs back to 3.1.3 and set it up as a new phone. The buyer would also like it jailbroken, so I'll re jailbrake it so it will be ready to go out of the box for him. I'm also gonna pull my sim card out. This is the right way to sell the phone, correct? Or is there a better/easier way? Also, all the stuff that I have on my phone backed up in itunes, pictures, contacts, etc, will be able to be synced to the new iphone, correct? Sorry, this is the first time I'm doing this.

2. Depercision macrumors newbie

That's how I did it.

3. Rooftop voter thread starter macrumors 6502a

If I go into the settings and reset all settings, will that do the same thing? Erase all my info and contacts, etc? Will I be able to re-jailbrake afterwards?

4. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Apparently, you don't want to do the Erase all option with a jailbroken phone. It will get messed up.

You had it right. Restore the phone, and let iTunes activate it. Then jailbreak it, and you might go ahead and install Cydia for the buyer.

Take your SIM out, but take it with you in case he doesn't have one to test everything with.

Just be sure to look through contacts, web history, call history, and make sure they're all empty.

Good luck.

5. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

It's easier/faster to just do it the other way, through itunes. For some reason my phone always freezes/stalls forever when I try and erase it via the "reset" within the iPhone. Supposedly it can take hours, and I've never waited the full time to see if it really works. I always just get worried and impatient, and just restore.

6. wilymon macrumors member

I thought doing it through iTunes restored it to factory settings, so wouldn't you lose 3.1.3? I'm selling my iPhone too and i'm kinda curious.

7. Rooftop voter thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, I'll just set it up as a new phone. I sold it on ebay, so I got to mail it to him. I'm gonna take a continues video of the phone working, getting all the stuff packed in the shipping box, it being driven to the post office, and shipped without the camera ever leaving the phone or the box. I'm not taking any chances with the whole paypal ebay thing. I'm a little paranoid with all the horror stories.

I've never taken a sim card out of a phone, never had a reason to, but I have a question, I'm shipping it tommorow and will be without a phone for 4 days till I get my new iphone, but my girlfriend has an old razr I can use. Can I pop my sim that?

8. darkhunter139 macrumors regular

I did the reset all settings because my iPhone was 3.1.2 and the guy wanted to unlock it.

9. darkhunter139 macrumors regular

Yea I am using an old razr atm. It sucks I miss my iPhone

10. Rooftop voter thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm gonna be in your shoes in about 15 minutes.

The sim doesn't need to be in the phone when I'm doing all this correct? It won't matter with or without right?

11. darkhunter139 macrumors regular

It shouldn't matter no

12. ontheDL macrumors member

I think it's funny how everyone's previous phone was a razr. That used to be the hottest thing around and now we're all dreading using it for a few days :D

I think those retailed for like $600.

13. darkhunter139 macrumors regular

Ive been using it for a total of about 4 hours and I hate it! I keep picking it up to check my email and MLB scores and then realizing that I can't.

14. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

You can download 3.1.2 firmware. Just do a google search. Then when you go to restore, hit CTRL+restore on Windows and ALT+restore on the Mac, and it lets you choose what firmware file to use. Select the one you downloaded.

If you get an error message that says it isn't compatible, it's the 3GS version and you have the 3G, or vice versa.

And yes, a Razr will work fine, as long as it's an AT&T phone or it's unlocked like mine.

15. darkhunter139 macrumors regular

Is there a point to doing that if the reset worked fine?

16. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Probably not. I liked the peace of mind of knowing that the phone was totally wiped, and there was no way my iTunes ID, photos, or anything could still be on there.

Plus, the whole process of restoring, jailbreaking, and unlocking only took about 20 minutes total, and I've heard the reset can take up to two hours.

17. myfoneisdank macrumors regular

I want to do the same thing as the OP except I am still running a jailbroken 3.0.1 3gs

I havent updated in a really long time as you can see and I'm running the very old baseband (04.xx.xx). Is this desirable on the resell market? Should I unlock it to make the phone more valuable? also how would I do that?

I'm kind of a modding newbie, purplera1n was insanely easy back in the fall.

18. NYR99 macrumors 6502a

That's not true. Apple ONLY signs 3.1.3 firmware. If you try anything earlier firmware, you'll get an error. The only way you can restore to 3.1.2 via iTunes is to have your SHSH for 3.1.2 on file with Cydia. You also have to change a file in your computer to point iTunes to the Cydia server when it goes to sign that firmware. iTunes will think that it is contacting Apples server, when in fact, it is not. (The file is /private/etc/hosts)

19. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

iClarified has the best tutorials. Look here and find out what the newest firmware you can still unlock would be.

http://iclarified.com/entries/index.php?caid=2&scid=11&seid=1

20. RM350z macrumors member

I am planning to sell my phone as well. My iPhone is not unlocked or jailbroken. Should I update to 4.0 and sell, or should I just leave it with the current software? Sorry for the newb question, but I'm wondering what will work best! Thanks

21. Rooftop voter thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, if you unlock it, it will bring more cash. How to do it? I have no clue as I've never really looked into it, but I'm sure theres info on how to do it on here, and I'm sure someone over in the iphone hacks section would be willing to help you out.

22. ontheDL macrumors member

I tried jailbreaking mine and it didn't work. I used pwnage tool for mac and I ended up with no service afterwards. I don't know if that woulda been fixed after I unlocked it but I just said the hell with it. I didn't wanna mess with it. It'll definitely bring more cash if it's unlocked though.

23. Rooftop voter thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, the deed is done. Restored and re jailbroke. She's pretty much ready to go. I miss her already. This fxcking sucks. It'll be worth it though, and I'll be that much more excited to get the new phone. That's if everything goes smoothly getting payed from paypal. I've had a crap weekend, saturday I got a HUGE splinter under my thumbnail that broke off halfway down the nail, then today I got a speeding ticket, so hopefully things will be getting better.