Selling iPhone - Keep it Jailbroken?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by turbineseaplane, Mar 21, 2016.

1. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Do you guys sell your devices jailbroken?
    Is there aftermarket value in that since it's not a free for all on JB on the latest iOS right now?
    Or do people, mistakenly of course, think it's "damaged" or "broken" if you sell that way?

Curious to get some anecdotal evidence of how this has gone for people.
    Thx

(obviously a wipe of data using one of the tools to do so is a given)

2. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I tried selling an Air that was jailbroken and even though I mentioned it was jailbroken in the ad, the guy refused to buy it when he saw it was jailbroken when I met up with him.

3. turbineseaplane thread starter macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Sheesh - Ridiculous, right?

Obviously I can just update it to the latest if nobody buys I guess...
    Just seems like there must be value to be had for those that know what they're looking for (JB device)

4. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Yeah that just wasted my time although I was able to sell it the next day. I did restore it to stock after that first guy.

5. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Definitely emphasize in your ad it's JB'n. For example, I'd pay (significantly) more money for a JB'n or JB'able iDevice than a (currently) non-JB'able one. A lot of other people may do the same.

Also add in your ad that "can be removed upon request".
    --- Post Merged, Mar 21, 2016 ---
    Sure there is!

6. Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

I have a 6 that is jailbroken on iOS 8.4 and a 6s that is on iOS 9.2.1 and I decided to sell the 6s as I don't use it. Meet up with a guy wanting to buy it and when he seen my 6 he offered £500 for it. He was originally giving me £535 for my 6s so just £35 less for the iP6 because it was jailbroken or more importantly on 8.4 so the Impactor app works I thought was surprising.

He bought my 6s as I wasn't going to part with my 6

7. Rekan_ macrumors member

Rekan_

What device are you on? I sold my iPad Air 1 on ebay for an extra £50 because it had a 8.4 jailbreak.

8. Tarek macrumors 6502

I have sold a couple of jailbroken iPhones and iPods before, but of course I ask the buyer if he wants it jailbroken or not first.

9. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Not being completely confident that I know what is stored in the jailbreak and tweak-related folders that are left behind...even after uninstalling all tweaks...I wouldn't sell a jailbroken device.

10. Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

That is what makes iOS 8.4 so good and what made the person wanting to buy my iP6 jailbroken on 8.4 over my 6s on 9.2.1 was the fact that with the Impactor app the phone could be reset whenever back to stock 8.4 and then re jailbroke.