Selling iPhone, need advice on getting "limbo" phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bob Loblaw, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Bob Loblaw macrumors regular

Bob Loblaw

So I was going to sell my iPhone 3G 16GB to my brother for $50 once I got iPhone 4... until I saw how much some of these are selling for on ebay. **** him and his $50 now. Is there any way to get a cheap/free phone at AT&T and still be able to get the discounted iPhone? I'm figuring most likely not and I'd probably just have to buy a GoPhone to tide me over or just wait to list it until I get my phone and pray the demand is still there.

Any advice everyone?

2. lilchub101 macrumors member

Go phone is the way to.... GO

I have a stack of go phones they sell a crappy $15 one that your best bet.

3. z400central macrumors regular

Just put in your eBay auction "will ship on or after June 24th". This way you can get your iPhone 4, load up the new one, and prepare and ship the old one.

4. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Morse Code works okay...just not long distance. :p

Seriously, I'd pick up a cheap pay-as-you-go phone from Walmart. Keep it as a back-up in case something happends to your iPhone :eek:

5. carrodan macrumors newbie

I'm in a similar boat - I lost my iPhone 3G a week and a half ago, but am waiting to make any decisions on which iPhone to replace it with until after the dust has settled with the iPhone 4 and prices for the 3G and 3GS start to drift downwards.

Luckily I also have a Blackberry with voice and data from work so I am not completely disconnected, but I would definitely like to have some sort of cheap replacement for the iPhone in the interim. Can I buy the $15 go phone and activate it on my current iPhone line?

Since I don't have the SIM from my iPhone anymore, would i have to pay extra for a new one? or would this cause any other unforeseen issues?

Would I lose my unlimited iPhone data plan when I eventually get another iPhone if i do this go phone thing in the meantime?

Thanks!

6. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Bob Loblaw of Bob Loblaw's Law Blog?

(GoPhones work. Or beg your friends to loan you something temporarily.)

7. senorian macrumors regular

Arrested Development was the best show ever!!!

8. mlyon macrumors member

Get ya a refurbed Go Phone from AT&T. This was $7.99. Install your SIM and wait for your new Phone! Sell it fast, prices are going down. Best Buy trade in quotes were $299 a couple of days ago, only $170 now.

Picture 1(2) 11-38-44.png

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I have to agree.

10. Bob Loblaw thread starter macrumors regular

Bob Loblaw

BINGO!

And thanks for the info guys. I got in touch with my aunt and borrowed her old phone and the guy at the AT&T store (who actually seemed to know what he was talking about) said I'll be fine, like many here, as long as I don't change my account info and won't lose my data plan.

I think I'll be listing the iPhone tomorrow!

11. Sirobin macrumors 6502

Sirobin

No Habla Español.

12. Iphone4Mac macrumors member

Go phone, But I was dumb and bought one for 29.99... not a refurb one:confused:

I'm backing up my iphone right now and about the switch sim cards and put my iphone on craigslist