Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dominic252

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Selling my iPhone on Craigslist to fund a new phone. Can't find any real instructions on how to do this. Is it really as easy as turning off iMessage and all that stuff, then restoring it to factory settings? Or is it still tied to your iCloud account? Any help is appreciated!

bearwrestler

macrumors regular
May 19, 2014
Selling my iPhone on Craigslist to fund a new phone. Can't find any real instructions on how to do this. Is it really as easy as turning off iMessage and all that stuff, then restoring it to factory settings? Or is it still tied to your iCloud account? Any help is appreciated!

I believe so. Just turn everything off, go to your mail etc and delete all accts, and restore to factory settings. Turn it on, and try to find any trace of yourself, and if you don't see anything, restore again, and leave off. That is what I would (will in a year or so) be doing. Try selling on ebay/amazon too. You are more likely to get more money there.

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
Turn off iMessage, reboot, turn off find my iPhone, reboot, back up your phone and then restore it. Don't forget to take out your SIM card also.

dominic252

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
I believe so. Just turn everything off, go to your mail etc and delete all accts, and restore to factory settings. Turn it on, and try to find any trace of yourself, and if you don't see anything, restore again, and leave off. That is what I would (will in a year or so) be doing. Try selling on ebay/amazon too. You are more likely to get more money there.

I would like to try selling on eBay, but I'm trying to sell my phone sooner rather than later and I don't have a backup phone. Essentially, I'm looking to jump ship and go to the Nexus 5, so the ideal situation would be to sell my phone and go pickup a Nexus 5 the same day

bearwrestler

macrumors regular
May 19, 2014
I would like to try selling on eBay, but I'm trying to sell my phone sooner rather than later and I don't have a backup phone. Essentially, I'm looking to jump ship and go to the Nexus 5, so the ideal situation would be to sell my phone and go pickup a Nexus 5 the same day

Then I would say craigslist would be your best bet. Price it low, and you'll probably get more responses.

bearwrestler

macrumors regular
May 19, 2014
Yeah, you can sell whatever you want, but make sure to take out the sim card.... that is the thing that holds all your personal info etc.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

Everyone is making this too complicated. To completely wipe your phone it takes three steps:

1. Turn off Find My iPhone. Settings > iCloud > Find My iPhone(you can skip this step if find my iPhone is already off).

2. Wipe the contents of the phone. Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Contents and Settings

3. Remove your SIM card. It doesn't contain any personal information, but the buyer doesn't need it. I don't know about Sprint, so you may need to look into that if you have a Sprint phone.

iterva

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Sweden
Everyone is making this too complicated. To completely wipe your phone it takes three steps:

Well put! :)
I began reading through this thread and noticed that no one mentioned the Find my iphone setting... No need to make the new owner frustrated when he/she inserts their sim only to realize the phone is locked to previous owners icloud. :D

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Well put! :)
I began reading through this thread and noticed that no one mentioned the Find my iphone setting... No need to make the new owner frustrated when he/she inserts their sim only to realize the phone is locked to previous owners icloud. :D

I'm pretty sure Find my iPhone needs to be deactivated before you're able to erase all contents and settings anyway.

iterva

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Sweden
I'm pretty sure Find my iPhone needs to be deactivated before you're able to erase all contents and settings anyway.

If were being specific: If still enabled it will simply prompt for your icloud password after choosing to "Erase All content and Settings". But keeping "Find my iphone" enabled during this process requires the same icloud password to be entered after erase is complete for the device to be activated (usable) once again.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If were being specific: If still enabled it will simply prompt for your icloud password after choosing to "Erase All content and Settings". But keeping "Find my iphone" enabled during this process requires the same icloud password to be entered after erase is complete for the device to be activated (usable) once again.
Based on doing this personally on a couple of devices and a few discussions about this in the past, the normal flow is that you should be asked to disable Find My iPhone as one of the first things when you select erase all content and settings.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Unless it's a Sprint phone. The SIM card is tied to the phone, so taking it out would be useless.

I'd still take it out and sell it without a sim card.
Safety first.

For Sprint and MetroPCS, it's tied to the device and needs to be included to get LTE. No customer information is stored on it. http://support.sprint.com/support/article/About_Removable_UICC_Cards/case-wds02012-20120920-100001 http://community.ebay.com/t5/Cell-Phones/BEWARE-TO-ALL-BUYERS-SELLERS-BUYING-SELLING-USED-METROPCS-4G/td-p/2734165

If OP is on AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, or most other carriers, the SIM needs to be removed and put in his new phone. If he's on Verizon, he might need to go into a store and make sure it's activated properly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.