selling iphone on craigslist

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrmike316, May 31, 2010.

1. mrmike316 macrumors regular

Ok i know maybee A dumb question,but here I go.When I advertising iphone for sale on craigslist,why are some people asking for me to send them a pay pal money requests. a few people have done this its A scam right.....THANKS

2. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

Cash is really the only way to use craigslist. And to do the exchange in public with a friend or two lol

Good luck

3. sjsharks13 macrumors regular

some times its ok to use paypal with craigslist, such as if your buying sports tickets (done it tons of times, never had a problem) However, its a different story with an iphone, cash is king, only take cash and have the person meet you in a public place.

4. mrmike316 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thanks for the replies,Im thinking about selling the phone today.But im worried i cant go without it LOL, and maybee there wont be a new iphone release...

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Don't worry apple will release an iPhone next week.

You're best bet to maximize your profit is to sell now. After apple releases the new iPhone, the value will drop as everyone and their sister will be selling theirs

As for cash vs. paypal for craigslist. Only go cash never mail it. Too many scams occur with craigslist. Since the selling price is not huge (not like a macbook pro or anything) You're not being unreasonable. If someone is balking at paying cash or picking it up, and paying cash, then that should raise some red flags.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes avoid scams like that.
    Tell them u just want to meet locally and take cash for the phone.
    If they ask u to mail it to Africa or Nigeria run:)

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Everything I have ever listed on CL clearly had cash only stated in the sale. If someone requested something else, I emailed them back and said, "Sorry, cash only."

8. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Put your phone number in the ad. From my years of experience with craigslist, I know that the people who took time to call you rather than email you are usually the ones that can buy on the spot.

9. Barbs macrumors 6502

Other than the obvious of removing the sim card, is there anything else you should do prior to selling your iphone? Should you do a system restore on the phone?

10. noobinator macrumors 601

I didn't wanna start a new thread but I'm posting mine up for sale on CL today and I just was wondering how detailed I should be. I'm listing the "hairline" cracks in the plastic around the screws even though they are barely visible to the naked eye. I'm just worried I'm missing some blemish that others might notice. Should I just say to look at it in person if they want a closer look?

How would you all handle describing the phone?

11. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

If it's a 3GS get it replaced under warranty first. :)

12. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Be honest but just say there is minor wear around the phone that is not serious.

13. rowsdower macrumors 6502

Describe it honestly and offer to let people look at it in person. If a buyer doesn't take you up on that, it's not your problem.

14. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

I would have no problem accepting other payment methods for something on Craigslist, if I'm sending it out, you just have to do it right.
    Clearly state that item will not be sent until the check/MO is cleared and the money is safely in your account.
    If they want to pay by check, ask for a photocopy of their driver's license with it, to prove the identity on the check matches the person, and it's not just a stolen/reused check. Most of the people pulling off a stolen check scam wouldn't be able to get a driver's license that matches the check, at least not in a cheap/timely manner that would enable them to make money off the scam.

That being said, I accepted a check from someone from Delaware (I'm in NY) for my Z06 I was selling on Craigslist. I had checked out the kids info on Facebook (gotta love Facebook) and kept the extra set of keys and title until the check cleared. At least I'd be able to go back down and try to recover the car if the check bounced, and I had proof it was my vehicle (title in my name). If I wasn't able to find it, I would be down there and able to file a stolen vehicle report. Not the best way to do it, but it worked out perfectly fine.

15. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

God bless you sir for being so honest!

I noticed that generally Americans and Canadians are very exact and honest in describing their products. You should see how it's here in Ireland and in the UK(but especially in Ireland).

The phone looks like it's been sandpapered and the description says: "Great condition, just a minor wear"...... just horrible, you have to buy everything new here because people are VERY dishonest about descriptions.

16. elephunkman macrumors 65816

That's exactly what I do too.