Selling iPhone on eBay? How much do you think ill get with this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NiroshanMan, May 17, 2008.

1. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

So i just placed my newly bought refurbished unlocked 8gb iPhone on ebay Friday night. Starting bid $280 and Buy It Now for $450. Do you think the bidding will get to about $350-380 range by the time gap closes? Should i post it up on Craigslist? Anything i should change in the listing?

Comments much appreciated!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=230253335081

Do you think its a good idea to provide the buyers with the links to some unlocking tools if they decide to restore their iPhone? Cause at some point they are going to have to restore and they will be stuck cause it will relock. So is it fair to put that with it if they win? Im just gonna givem links and tell them what to do.

2. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Looks good to me.

Leave it on eBay, people are breaking their bank accounts for jailbroken iPhones, I was thinking about doing it too but I don't have a interim phone.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Seems a bit high for a "refurb" and are refurbs NEW? Why no AppleCare? Also, "no Bids?"

Apple Certified Refurbished Products
    Frequently Asked Questions:
    (1) What are Apple Certified Refurbished Products?

Apple Certified Refurbished Products are pre-owned Apple products that undergo Apple's stringent refurbishment process prior to being offered for sale. These products have been returned under Apple's Return and Refund Policies. While only some units are returned due to technical issues, all units undergo Apple's stringent quality refurbishment process.

Each Apple Certified Refurbished Product:

* is fully tested (including full burn-in testing).
    * is refurbished with replacement parts for any defective modules identified in testing.
    * is put through a thorough cleaning process and inspection.
    * is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, new boxes, etc.).
    * includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system. See each products "Learn More" for more details.
    * is given a new refurbished part number and serial number.
    * is placed into a Final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock.

Refurbishment procedures follow the same basic technical guidelines as Apple's Finished Goods testing procedures.

(2) What should I expect when I purchase an Apple Certified Refurbished Product?

* Substantial savings
    * A fully functional unit with complete documentation
    * The assurance that the unit meets Apple's premiere quality standards, and that its defective components have been replaced by genuine Apple components

(3) Can I purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan for my Apple Certified Refurbished Product?

All Apple Certified Refurbished Products are covered by Apple's One-Year Limited Warranty. For extended coverage, you have the option of purchasing the AppleCare Protection Plan with your Apple Certified Refurbished Product. The AppleCare Protection Plan extends the complimentary coverage on your Apple Certified Refurbished Product to up to three years of world-class support for Mac, and up to two years of world-class support for iPod, iPhone, and Apple TV.

Good Luck! :eek:

4. aandf1978 macrumors member

Good luck but you might want to edit your carriers that you list for the phone. You include CDMA carriers such as Verizon, etc.... You are going to end up missleading people, as some have STILL NOT caught on to the in's and out's of the iphone. Just my two cents.

5. NiroshanMan thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks guys,
    i don't think i need to elaborate too much on the refurb cause thats if you are buying from apple straight.
    I've kept it in great condition, so i hope it sells well.
    I've seen unlocked refurbs from AT&T up there and they have gone for atleast $360, and AT&T refurbs don't seem to be as good as Apples refurbs, cause apple takes the time. Maybe ill note that, thanks!

6. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

I agree, be careful about the carriers you listed, i'd go with the gsm sim card ones only because thats what you unlocked it for. I'm curious about you unlocking it to work with a firmware that hasn't been finalized yet, but if you are confident that it will work, good. Just don't lie about things you list. As for price's, I don't know, you got lots of people selling their old iphones just because new ones are coming out. I wish you the best of luck.:)

7. NiroshanMan thread starter macrumors 6502

Pwner developers say in their FAQ that they are one of the only apps that allow you to unlock Firmware 2.0, because they tried it with the 2.0 firmware beta. They said that iLiberty+ and ZiPhone won't be able to do this.

8. sonicwind macrumors member

I would not sell an unlocked or jailbroken phone. You are opening yourself up to complaints if something goes wrong, such as the first time an uneducated person gets an update from Apple. Their phone gets bricked and you get bad feedback on eBay and a charge back. I will reset mine before selling. Unlocking is something anyone can do but be should do themselves so they take on the responsibility. There are no guarantees that any jailbrake or unlock will work with OS 2.0.

9. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

You think AT&T fixes Apple's phones for them huh?

10. NiroshanMan thread starter macrumors 6502

nope, but they send them in unappealing boxes. There has also been a fuss about the warranties not being exactly 1 year long, people have had to spend time talking ot apple to fix their warranties, but buying directly from apple is more of an advantage. thats all i think

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

As for Craigslist.org, be extremely careful. There is no insured way to complete the transaction. Even PayPal-like scams are out there, and if you'll notice, many of the iPhones are selling for around $200 used. Just don't get "scammed" and once again, Good Luck. :cool:

12. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

As long as you send a note or some sort of disclaimer via email saying do not update or restore your phone or you run the risk of bricking, it's not the seller's fault. Buyer Beware. They know they are buying a product that was made to work in a way that was unintended, that's the big risk with buying a preunlocked phone.

13. stateofmind macrumors regular

14. NiroshanMan thread starter macrumors 6502

at this point, Unlocking your iPhone is a selling point, cause most people don't know how to or don't want to spend the time to. So one less thing for them to do is more money in your pocket, i would elaborate on the unlocking situation. Good luck as well!

15. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

I think giving the option to unlock like you did is a good idea. This way you can sell to both groups those who want an unlocked phone as well as those who plan to use AT&T anyway and would prefer not to take the risk of buying one that had been unlocked and the warranty voided. It seems to me that the second hand iPhone market has shifted in the past few weeks, where before the only reason to buy a second hand iPhone was to get a better price or unlocked. Now people are going into the Apple and AT&T stores and finding them sold out and turning to eBay or craigslist, with that in mind actually unlocking the phone it would seem to me would hurt your chances of selling it. Smart move on the low starting price, it's always amazed me how the auctions that start lower always seem to end higher.

16. sonicwind macrumors member

I guarantee you any iPhone unlocked/jailbroke with any current tool will be bricked by the release version of iPhone OS 2.0. Let the buyer beware, heh. OS 2.0 will be pushed out as an update through iTunes by the end of June, that's still well within time for your "customers" to give you bad feedback on eBay and initiate a chargeback on your payment. The best I will do is direct the purchaser to information on unlocking their phone themselves. What you want to do is avoid problems before they occur. People who cannot follow online instructions to unlock their phones, cannot be expected to follow instructions to virginize their phones before getting updates.

17. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

Agree. Pwner developers say it works with firmware 2.0 BETA. I don't know about them or their product, but be careful. They don't seem to be promising it will work with the actual 2.0 release update. The beta isn't the finished product, and not necessarily what apple will push out as an update. They know what unlocking programs are out there and my bet is that they will try to make sure they don't work so they don't lose sales from their apps store, or carriers. I like the idea of having unlocking as an option. Kinda like Psystar having the option of pre-installing Leopard.:D

18. wnxgenral macrumors 6502

i did craigslist in my local town.... put it up for $400, told the guy I'd jailbreak/unlock it for $450... sold just last week.

19. Kblakeshot macrumors member

eBay

I have sold two within the past week for $450 & $475 (not including shipping.) When you sell on ebay, its ALL about the listing. If you have a good listing you will have a good selling price.

20. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

I sold mine for 250.00 it was pretty beat up.... but still not bad.

21. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

22. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

It's so frustrating, I put mine up with a Buy It Now price for what I paid for it since I just want to break even. Then a power seller comes along and just puts down the initial bid which cancels the Buy It Now price all because it was listed lower then what the power sellers are selling theirs for. They are controlling the ebay market.

23. NiroshanMan thread starter macrumors 6502

*You are in full responsibility when you get this phone, if you restore the iPhone it will relock and you will have to unlock it yourself. I will provide the links to unlock the iPhone, but I suggest not restoring unless you understand the unlocking process yourself. Once the new expected firmware comes out please wait, and by NO means upgrade to it immediatley or it might mess up the phone. The unlocking applications will be updated as time continues and will be sure to unlock the new firmware whether it be 1.1.5, 2.0.0, 2.0.1... just be patient and stay with the current 1.1.4 Firmware for the iPhone until the new firmware is out for several weeks. It will be sure to work when I send it!

this is my explaination

24. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

Well, it looks like we have an answer to the question of wether an iPhone will sell for more being locked or unlocked. It looks like they both went for about the same price. Now I would be curious to know if stateofmind's buyer asked to have is unlocked or not.

25. onlycopunk macrumors 6502