Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frizers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
I want to sell my iphone 4s 16gb on ebay or amazon but i haven't sold a phone on either before. It is in very good condition and functions perfectly but I have a few questions:

-If a buyer were to receive it and then smash it (by accident or whatever), what would stop them saying 'it arrived like that', how can I prove that the iphone sold was in fine condition?
-If the iphone randomly dies 1 week/1 month/6 months later, would I have to offer a refund? I know the phone is in perfect working order now but im not that much of a techy, the phone could stop working tomorrow for all i know. how long do you have to be liable for a refund? Obviously if i was the buyer i wouldn't be happy if i paid 200 odd and the phone broke a month later.

I just don't quite understand how it works, any help would be much appreciated :)

I know this is worst case scenario but id rather get £80 less with a recycling company rather than be duped and end up with a broken iphone and owing refund.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
do a quick search on the forum and you will see how much of a headache it is to sell and iPhone on a site like ebay.

I would recommend not doing it. It's worth getting a little bit less money from one of the trade in sites and guaranteeing yourself the money.

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
I sell large amounts of devices, but mostly iPhones on eBay and here is what I do.

In the description, say NO RETURNS or RETURNS ACCEPTED within 14 days, or 30, or 500 or whatever. I do a 14 day warranty on working items only. Broken items are sold AS IS with no returns or refunds.

However, I have sold hundreds and hundreds of devices on ebay and not one of them have been returned due to "within 1 week, buyer smashed screen". This is because I say in the description "14 DAY WARRANTY for DEFECTIVE ELECTRONICS ONLY. No accidental damage is covered. If they drop it, too bad.

I do get a sour every now and then, where they lie and threat with negative feedback. Only thing you can do there is give them at least half of what they want, or just bear through the negative crap the dump on you.

Best of luck

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
i make sure to sell to a reputable buyer that won't screw me over. if that means denying the sale then i will. I've sold 8 phones on ebay with only 1 small problem. the buyer said i didn't describe a small scratch somewhere though i took plenty of high quality well lit photos with my DSLR.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Stay away from ebay.
Last iphone I sold had a small scuff on the left side of the phone that I explained on the auction description and took like 10 detailed pictures.
Buyer receives it and right away opens a case with ebay. My money is frozen now so I gotta play the back and forth game. He tells me the scratch and wear and tear is more than he thought. I told him every detail is described and pictures from every angle were posted on the auction.
He wants his money back. I tell him send it back but I will video record myself opening the package in case you send me an empty box.
Then he changes his tune saying he's willing to keep it but he wants $100 off the price of $230 that I sold it for. I told him no, I'll give him $25 off but that's it. He still insists that it has more wear than I described and not worth it he wants $60 off instead.
I ended up going up to $40 so I can close the case with ebay and get the rest of my money back. Nowadays scammers either get their money back and send you an empty box or start this case dispute right away on used products to get it for even cheaper than what they paid for.
Never again Im selling on ebay.
Sold a few iphones on amazon with no issues and for more money. I'd give that a try next time I have a spare iphone when I upgrade.
Ebay is not worth the hassle, aggrevation and time you have to waste to get your money and do your best trying not to get screwed.
Just my 2 cents.

I sell large amounts of devices, but mostly iPhones on eBay and here is what I do.

In the description, say NO RETURNS or RETURNS ACCEPTED within 14 days, or 30, or 500 or whatever. I do a 14 day warranty on working items only. Broken items are sold AS IS with no returns or refunds.

However, I have sold hundreds and hundreds of devices on ebay and not one of them have been returned due to "within 1 week, buyer smashed screen". This is because I say in the description "14 DAY WARRANTY for DEFECTIVE ELECTRONICS ONLY. No accidental damage is covered. If they drop it, too bad.

I do get a sour every now and then, where they lie and threat with negative feedback. Only thing you can do there is give them at least half of what they want, or just bear through the negative crap the dump on you.

Best of luck

That doesn't work.
You can say no returns all you want. If they buyer is not happy they just file a dispute case with ebay and get their money back.
You can post whatever you want but ebay and paypal doesn't care what you say in the description. They will always side with the buyer.

Last edited:

bmahall231

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2014
That's the risk you take. Selling to a trade-in site makes it hassle free, you get less money but they pretty much take all the burden of having to resell it and deal with issues you would have to otherwise.

There's this new site I saw on Yahoo Tech called UpgradeSwap and it would probably be perfect for you because for one they pay you first through PayPal, kind of like how eBay would do it. They pay for shipping to and from and also give a free box every time.

The difference is that it's like a Gazelle website but they pay much more. I've used the site and it's almost too easy...they could use a little better design but then again, as long as I get more money and I get paid before I ship, I don't really care...hope that helps

Frizers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
hmmm does sound like a lot of trouble. Thanks for the advice everyone :)

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
Stay away from ebay. That doesn't work.
You can say no returns all you want. If they buyer is not happy they just file a dispute case with ebay and get their money back.
You can post whatever you want but ebay and paypal doesn't care what you say in the description. They will always side with the buyer.
In the many transactions I've been through, not one have I experienced like you described.

I recently WON a dispute with Paypal. I have 100% proof of everything that the buyer is incorrect and that the information I included in the listing was true. Paypal took the money temperarily, but gave it back to me later. I must add, I'm a best seller on eBay so maybe that helps...

Personally, I cannot recommend ebay for a first time user, but make do with what ya got!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
In the many transactions I've been through, not one have I experienced like you described.

I recently WON a dispute with Paypal. I have 100% proof of everything that the buyer is incorrect and that the information I included in the listing was true. Paypal took the money temperarily, but gave it back to me later. I must add, I'm a best seller on eBay so maybe that helps...

Personally, I cannot recommend ebay for a first time user, but make do with what ya got!

I'm glad you didn't have a similar experience but it happens way too often.
And to even have to deal with disputes and the back and forth and having to fight and prove to get your money is not even worth it to me in the end.
I dont have the time or patience for that.

bigjim83

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
eBay is really getting to be a pain in the neck with phones. I still sell items on eBay that I don't use anymore but it usually isn't of high value I'm just looking to offload. Craigslist is probably the best way to go. I hate the trade in sites because all they do is flip your phone for a decent profit. I hate the thought of a site like that making a few hundred bucks off of me.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

And what do you do if a buyer comes back saying that what they received is not as described (perhaps even going as far as saying you just shipped a rock or something like that and that's it)? Seems there have been quite a few threads of that nature in the past where eBay and PayPal would open an investigation, take the money back, and ultimately side with the buyer since it seems there's really nothing you can provide that could really show that the buyer is actually lying when it comes to something like that.

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
And what do you do if a buyer comes back saying that what they received is not as described (perhaps even going as far as saying you just shipped a rock or something like that and that's it)? Seems there have been quite a few threads of that nature in the past where eBay and PayPal would open an investigation, take the money back, and ultimately side with the buyer since it seems there's really nothing you can provide that could really show that the buyer is actually lying when it comes to something like that.
True. Like I mentioned prior, I cannot recommend eBay 100% due to the buyer favoured policy. But then again, there's nothing better than eBay, and nothing worse. It's all you got. Living life sometimes includes risks which happen often. If you're that paranoid that it will happen to you, put a helmet on. The worlds out to get us all...watch out!:D

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
I've bought and sold a number of phones on Swappa.com

It's pretty painless if you ask me. It started out Android only, but they have added Apple devices to it. It's where I got the iPhone 4S I'm typing this on (sold my GS III on there). And my ipad mini, and an HTC One V for cheap for a friend.

There is a small fee that the buyer pays to Swappa, and you are responsible for shipping. But it's easy enough to just include those In the price for the listing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.