Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WeegieMac

Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Ok, I sold my iPhone 3G to my best mate, he's offered me £200 for it which is superb.

The only thing is that he uses a PC, while I'm on a Mac.

If I restore the iPhone to iOS4 and leave it blank (ie: don't set it up as a new phone or restore a back up), can he plug the iPhone into his PC and use it as normal?

From my own limited understanding, iOS 4 won't sync over the Folders he creates on the phone because iTunes 9.2 isn't out on the PC yet.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Ok, I sold my iPhone 3G to my best mate, he's offered me £200 for it which is superb.

The only thing is that he uses a PC, while I'm on a Mac.

If I restore the iPhone to iOS4 and leave it blank (ie: don't set it up as a new phone or restore a back up), can he plug the iPhone into his PC and use it as normal?

From my own limited understanding, iOS 4 won't sync over the Folders he creates on the phone because iTunes 9.2 isn't out on the PC yet.

Correct, the Windoze version of iTunes 9.2 has yet to be released.

WeegieMac

Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Correct, the Windoze version of iTunes 9.2 has yet to be released.

Cheers mate.

So you'd advise selling it to him with 3.1.3 installed?

I will use iOS 4 to demo the new features he will get "soon" ... and then restore to 3.1.3 to let him take it home. :D

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Cheers mate.

So you'd advise selling it to him with 3.1.3 installed?

I will use iOS 4 to demo the new features he will get "soon" ... and then restore to 3.1.3 to let him take it home. :D

Sorry, I'm not suggesting anything.

I will wait until my 4th generation iPhone is in my hand, jailbroken and unlocked and I am happy with it, before I sell my 3GS. That's what I have always done when I upgrade iPhones.

WeegieMac

Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Sorry, I'm not suggesting anything.

I will wait until my 4th generation iPhone is in my hand, jailbroken and unlocked and I am happy with it, before I sell my 3GS. That's what I have always done when I upgrade iPhones.

Fair enough.

My iPhone 3G was bought on Pay As You Go, it's mine ... and waiting a few weeks for iPhone 4 is not an issue. I won't be touching my iPhone 4 with any jailbreak software, everything it does out the box is more than what I look for from a jailbreak (home-screen wallpaper and a new dock ... I don't ask for much except Winterboard).

Obviously, looking at things in terms of compatibility, it would make sense to restore the iPhone to 3.1.3 (it's currently on non-jailbroken iOS 4 for the 3G).

I've since read that iTunes in it's current Windows form will not even sync with the iPhone using iOS 4, so it's best to restore to 3.1.3 for him so he gets full use of the iPhone 3G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.