Selling iPhone Unlimited Data Phone Contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by note235, Jun 5, 2011.

1. note235 macrumors 6502a

Hello,
    Is it possible for me to sell my phone contract to someone else if they wanted to get the unlimited data? And if it is, anyone know the worth? $100-200? thanks!

2. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I often see people offering the contracts for free with the requirement the new owner assumes the remaining period. Normally there's about a year left in it. It's a win-win for both parties with one having unlimited data that's no longer offered and the other out of a contract.

3. Middiebear macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

The only way that would work is if you sell your phone, your active sim card, and don't really mind the phone line still being finaincially responsible in your name.

I don't think anybody should put that much trust in a complete stranger because there's no telling if they'll go over their minutes or rack up any other types of overages/usage charges that you'd still be responsible for in case the person you sold the phone/active sim card to decides to not pay the bill.

If you decide to do a transfer of billing responsibility by transferring the line into a new person's name then you forfeit your grandfathered status and lose the unlimited plan... Making the entire transaction pointless...

Sounds like a lose-lose to me.

4. PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

Even if you could, why would you want to sell your unlimited data plan? You know you wouldn't be able to get another one, right? :confused: I will never get rid of my unlimited data. It's too valuable to me.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Good advice. I've rarely heard of this type of thing going well. Something makes people pay late or never when it's not in their name and affecting their credit.

OP, it simply isn't worth it.

6. note235 thread starter macrumors 6502a

oh is see then I probably will not do it! thanks!

7. Alex318 macrumors newbie

What you are looking for is called transfer of liability, once this go through with your carrier you are no longer responsible for the phones or the contract, basically it ends your contract and the other person has to finish the contract on their own name, they even have to go through the credit check process and they might have to put a deposit (depending on their credit) before they can transfer the line(s) to his/her name. I don't know whether they will transfer the unlimited data plan or not, I assume they will since they have to honor the original contract.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6435758_transfer-at_t-phone-service.html

8. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

9. nostresshere macrumors 68030

10. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Get on 3-way, dial 611, hit 0, ask for a transfer of liability.

Takes 5 min.

You could stand to sell this to someone who is desperate to get this discontinued service option.

Maybe someone that wants to watch a lot of mobile streaming content...

$100, even $200 if you want to wait longer for a buyer.