Selling iphone upgrade - HELP ME!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by singincherry, Feb 4, 2014.

1. singincherry macrumors newbie

Hi people!!

I hope someone can help me with this dilemma...

I just upgraded my Verizon iPhone 4 8gb to a Verizon iPhone 4s 8gb, and I received it today from Verizon and it's still totally sealed. However I have at home a different Verizon 4s 16gb (sisters) that isn't being used.

Can I use my sisters old 4s and sell my new phone online? Or is my new phone pre-programmed with my number or info or something?

Also, if you have any tips I should know before selling it, I'm all ears! I've never sold on Ebay before...:D I'm thinking $300... is that normal?

Thanks u awesome people!! U rock!!!

2. 869639 macrumors 6502

$300 for a 4S 8GB ---- No, not going to happen [Sorry not trying to make you feel bad or anything, just being realistic]

1) You will have to remove it from your account [May require you to activate it, call verizon and then tell them you want to use your "other" or "old" 4S instead, give them the ESN/MEID of the new and tell them to deactivate it, and then give them the ESN/MEID of the old 4S [Sisters as you say] and have them activate it.

2) Go onto sell your "new" 4S 8GB where your heart desires, however we have seen lots of scams happening on eBay, so unless you are an expert/have experience, I would advise against it personally.

3. singincherry thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply! What do you mean getting scammed on ebay? I heard of being careful when purchasing on ebay but how can I get scammed when selling?

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

How many sales do you have? The higher number of sales and positive feedbacks you have, the harder it will be for the buyer to make a BS claim against you.

One of the most common scams is asking to deliver to an address not listed on paypal. Don't do that. EVER. NEVER EVER.

Another common one is the buyer receiving a legitimate item but claiming all you had placed in the shipping container was an empty box, brick, lump of coal, whatever. On higher value items I video tape myself boxing, sealing, and labeling (affixing the paypal printed label) onto the box. You can also choose to do the packaging at the post office (or whatever shipper you go with).

--------------

If you are trying to sell this phone in an attempt to not use an upgrade, it won't happen. Verizon will either use up your upgrade automatically, or bill you for the full retail price of the phone. (I am not saying this is your plan, but I thought I would cover all bases here).

--------------

As far as your asking price, $300 with free shipping is about what I see them going for new and sealed on eBay. So I don't think your prices are ridiculous. Keep in mind, for eBay to cover you under "buyer protection" you need to add insurance. So shipping will run around $15 (insured). Then ebay takes 10% (of the theoretical sales prices of $300). Paypal takes another 3% of the $300. You are now looking at a $252 max profit.

Craigslist in my area has these (opened/used) going for about $200. You may be able to ask slightly more ($220-230), at which point you need to ask yourself if ebay is even worth the hassle. That said, some consider CL an even bigger hassle. I personally llike it, but I am rather picky about who I buy from and sell to and where I meet.