Selling iPhone, what to do?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gangst, Jul 5, 2008.

1. gangst macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I will be upgrading to the 3G iPhone hopefully next week if they are available. Howewver, I have the problem of selling my old iPhone 16GB. It is brand new, 1 day old as I cracked my old iPhone and the insurance replaced it.

I will be looking to sell on eBay to get about £250 for it. However, do I sell it locked to O2 or unlock it and sell. I am worried about unlocking the phone as I have never done this before and do not want to kill the phone. I am contemplating selling the phone locked with the necessary software so the purchaser can unlock it themselves.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

Sell it locked and advise how to unlock it. Don't 'sell' the unlock software with it - you might be in violation of an EULA or copyright. And you might need to reduce you price expectations.

PS Make sure you zap all your data and mp3s off it first!

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

Unlocking involves as much effort as clicking a button. In the unlikely event that something goes wrong, you could always ask for help here on the forum.

4. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

Unlocking runs the risk of the new owner immediately bricking the phone by applying the 2.0 os update.

Sell it 'as is'.

5. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

I sold my 1 year old iPhone on ebay for £230 and I could have got more - that was a buy it now.

It was unlocked, and that adds to the value significantly.

I would unlock it and sell it. The worst someone could do is accidentally lock it again, and possibly re-unlock it in the future.

So my 1 year old 8GB iPhone is going to buy me and my boyfriend both a new 8GB iPhone 3G! Bargin! :)

6. gangst thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies. I think I will sell it with 'advice' on how to unlock it, effectively that should not greatly effect the price it sells for (I hope), just as long as I get the word 'unlock' in the description so it comes up on searches.