Selling iPhone With New SIM?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Me1000, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Before anyone says anything, I am NOT going to unlock the phone.

I may have a buyer locally for my iPhone however I need to know what I need to do on the SIM aspect of this transaction.

I believe I will have to go to an AT&T store and purchase a brand new sim to put in it. This way I will take the current SIM out and place it in my beater phone until the 3G phone comes out. Then she can go to iTunes and activate it there without any problem.
    Am I correct?

Please dont comment if you dont know for sure, but im sure there are people here that have done what I want to do.

Thanks,

2. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Why buy the sim? That is the purchasers problem.....
    She can either use her current AT&T sim(IF its the newer version) or she can goto AT&T and get a new sim and shes GTG.
    No need to activate via iTunes the phone is live.

3. Me1000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Me1000

Because this is the agreement, seeing as how the buying a friend of mine I figure I should help her out.

If I take an new (by that you mean one with the fire 3G thing on it?) SIM from an AT&T phone and put it in the iPhone are you telling me that is going to work? But she also needs the unlimited ($20/month) data plan too, should she just call AT&T for that?

4. Knolly macrumors 6502a

If she already has AT&T and a newer SIM card:
    1. Do a full restore of the iPhone so it should have the plug in to iTunes screen.
    2. Put her SIM in the phone.
    3. Have her plug the phone into her computer with iTunes. From there she will go on to activate it and add the data plan to her account.

5. Me1000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Me1000

Alright and this is confirmed to work?

Thank you

6. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

If the sim is active, yes it will work. I've 'demo'd' my iPhone for people @ work that way. I pop their AT&T sim in turn the phone on and let them play with it for a hour or 2 we all have data plans so its no biggie and the MMS was nice to see work with Swirly /rude AT&T for killing it on an acct.lvl.

If she has no service with AT&T might as well meet her @ the store and help her get set up. eg avoid the sales drone BS`ing her that she can't use the phone or has to get the 3g package or some crap.

7. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

Really, you can activate the iPhone old model from iTunes still, even after the 3G announcement? And the edge data plan is still there? I assumed they removed the Edge plan for so any new iPhone user, no matter 3G or not, has to choose the $30 plan. Maybe I got it mixed up that 3G iPhones you have to do the $30 plan even if your area is Edge only.

8. Me1000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Me1000

Yes you have to pay $30 / month if you are in an EDGE only area (as I am) on the 3G phone, but right now you can still go through iTunes to get the $20 a month plan for the old iPhones...

And thank you everyone for helping, this has made my life a lot easier!