Selling iPhone4 and need to wipe

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Lefo, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Lefo macrumors newbie

I am selling my iPhone4 with iOS 4.1. I need to wipe the phone. I jailbroke it already.

I read online that I can use the "Restore" function in iTunes and it would wipe the iPhone4. However, it wold restore to a higher iOS version and may update the baseband.

Now, how do I wipe my iPhone4 correctly so that it would wipe the jailbreak and also keep the baseband and iOS 4.1 version.

Thanks!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can't wipe it without restoring.
    Unless you go in and manually delete everything from it.
    Also what baseband version are you on. The 4.1 bb cannot be unlocked anyway so there's no point in trying to stay on it.

3. ormie macrumors regular

ormie

Go into the general menu and look for reset. You should find the wipe all to clear everything out of the iPhone then install the iOS.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If he does that on a jb iPhone he will be stuck at the Apple logo and will have to restore and upgrade anyway.

5. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

Never advice anyone to do that. Never! It's about the dumbest thing you can do, especially on a jailbroken iPhone.

@ OP
    Do you have shsh blobs for iOS 4.1?

6. Lefo, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

Lefo thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope.

I just did it and got 4.2.1, 4.3.3, 4.3.4, 4.3.5

7. Lefo thread starter macrumors newbie

my baseband is 02.10.04

8. orvn macrumors 6502

If you hold CMD while clicking restore you'll bring up a prompt to restore from a local file of your choice.

So all you need to do is find a changelog with older builds and download the one you want.

9. Lefo, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

Lefo thread starter macrumors newbie

So I downloaded the 4.1 firmware from here (check if i should use it) http://www.redmondpie.com/download-ios-4.1-final-version-for-iphone-4-3gs-3g-ipod-touch/

I tried restoring it but it needs to connect to the internet and to apple's server to restore to OS 4.1. Will it update the baseband?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That baseband cannot be unlocked anyway.
    And if you don't have any shsh blobs the only firmware iTunes will let you restore to is the latest 4.3.5

That is false.
    You can't just restore to any firmware you want.
    There's that thing called shsh blobs and without those you can't restore to any firmware that Apple is not signing.

11. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

This is the absolute worst thing you can do to a jailbroken iDevice.

You'll need SHSH blobs to be able to restore to 4.1. There's no point in keeping your baseband preserved because it is not unlockable.

False. You need SHSH.