selling iPhone5's - should I do this or not?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ServiceTag, Dec 16, 2012.

1. ServiceTag macrumors member

received extra two refurbs iP5 by ATT mistake. My relatives have interest to buy it from me however they are not eligible for upgrade till Aug 2013.
    When I called ATT asking for return I mentioned that option and I've been told I can sell it to them, they need just activated these phones on their numbers. The only negative in this scenario is 2 year eligibility would stay on my account which I don't see as a problem since I got two new iP5 just two weeks ago anyway.
    I am not sure if I got right info from ATT rep so before I commit to something like this I would like to hear some experts insides.

2. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

If you just do the right thing and return them you don't have to worry about any of that.

3. ServiceTag thread starter macrumors member

they billed my CC so nothing illegal here. BTW, I cancelled that order but they screwed up again and ship them out.

4. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

what are you talking about. you received an item from a merchant by mistake, and was not correctly charged for it. i dont know about where you live, but here in NJ, there is a criminal code against taking ownership of an item that you KNOW was delivered by mistake. its called theft of property lost, mislaid, or delivered by mistake.

you know as a fact you canceled the order, you were not charged for it, yet they delivered by mistake and you are knowingly keeping it. this is theft. call att and return the phones.

http://law.onecle.com/new-jersey/2c-the-new-jersey-code-of-criminal-justice/20-6.html

5. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Sounds like if the ATT rep was legit they would have just walked you through the process. Something isn't adding up.

6. ServiceTag thread starter macrumors member

nobody can get it or WTH is wrong with you guys? I cancelled original order once I realized it takes forever to get those refurb phones, so I got new iP5 directly from ATT store. They suppose to cancel that order but they DIDN'T! 3 weeks later they ship them out and obviously they CHARGED my CC. I called them for return to get the credit for those. Same time I asked if my family members can have them and they said yes, if they activate it on their lines. So am I nice guy to let them have it or thief?
    BTW, I could sell those for really hefty profit...

7. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

I could get one on eBay for $500.00 easy....So not THAT hefty.

8. ServiceTag thread starter macrumors member

$500 - $99+tax times two = $700 = hefty profit in my books...

9. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

so your credit card was charged in the end or not? you make it sound like you called to cancel and were credited back the cost of the phones. is that not true?

10. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

I thought you were charged for them? If not, yup you are a crook.

11. ServiceTag thread starter macrumors member

My CC was charged only when they ship them out. Obviously that time I already have been charged $500 for store purchase which has nothing to do with online order

12. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

Okay,I don't follow...anyways, I'm bored now with this thread.

13. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i concur