Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stoutboy1

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
How do I reset my ipod touch so none of my info is on it but I still have the $20 app upgrade installed?

slimjim247

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I don't think so unless you did some kind of jailbreak because im pretty sure once you restore it uses your itunes account to check if you have purchased it or not. Unless maybe after you installed the package you could disable your account on your ipod?

PMB

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2007
New York
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

all you have to do is restore, or give it to the person in recovery mode. That way, they have to restore to use it

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
How do I reset my ipod touch so none of my info is on it but I still have the $20 app upgrade installed?

You first need to do the restore. I don't remember if that will actually restore the $20 app upgrade though. Regardless, you will need to copy the app upgrade file to a cd and give that to the person you are selling it to, and have him/her put it in the same directory before they connect their ipod. Other wise, if they have to do a recovery, unless they have this file, the upgrade will be lost.

Here is the path:

~user/Library/iTunes/Mobile Applications/iPod touch App Pack 4A93.ipa

PMB

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2007
New York
You first need to do the restore. I don't remember if that will actually restore the $20 app upgrade though. Regardless, you will need to copy the app upgrade file to a cd and give that to the person you are selling it to, and have him/her put it in the same directory before they connect their ipod. Other wise, if they have to do a recovery, unless they have this file, the upgrade will be lost.

Here is the path:

~user/Library/iTunes/Mobile Applications/iPod touch App Pack 4A93.ipa

The file has DRM, so unless you deciede to give them your itunes account, this would not work. they would have to buy it for themselves, or jailbreak it.

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
The file has DRM, so unless you deciede to give them your itunes account, this would not work. they would have to buy it for themselves, or jailbreak it.

According to Apple Care tech support this is not the case.

A few months ago I purchased a second iPod Touch (32GB) with the intention of giving my former Touch (16GB to my sister). I had purchased the upgrade when it came out. I spoke to an Apple Tech (very good with iPods) and told them what I will be doing and asked them about restoring the iPod to its original factory settings and about the upgrade. They told me that for my sister to be able to do a restore and keep the upgrade, I should transfer that file to her computer and as long as the file was in that directory path, the upgrade would be applied during the restore providing she was using iTunes 7.6 or greater.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.